Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 69 out for a spin today, a few miles from home the cheap aftermarket amp gauge that previous owner installed under the dash erupted in flames. I was able to get off the road and shut it down. I pulled the wires from the back of the gauge, pretty easy since they were crispy, and drove it home. No other damage done.

Question is, is the system still charging or do the two wires need to be hooked together to charge the system? I left them hanging not knowing for sure what to do. I assume that basically the gauge was wired in line and just read the amps as the current flowed to charge the battery.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Take a look at your wiring and see how it is hooked up. If it was aftermarket and using the original OEM factory setup then no it just monitored the health of the charging system but was not required for that system to work. Camaro factory OEM design ammeter is actually a millivoltmeter and is wired at the horn relay buss bar and the the junction block next to the battery. (Open the attached picture) The readout is voltage change - the state of the system in terms of a plus or minus charge status.

If it was wired as a true Ammeter (See below)such as Chrysler products used which were part of the charging circuit then you must tie the two leads together to eliminate.

See here at Mad Electrical if it was installed as a full flow amp gauge:http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
69 Pace can I install a volt meter in its place? if so how would I wire it? THANKS

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
69 Pace can I install a volt meter in its place? if so how would I wire it? THANKS
Yes you can. Voltmeters just need power and a ground to work. Use a switched ignition source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts