Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to yank out the 350/350 engine and trans combo in a 74 Nova that I purchased for $400 and put in my 69 Camaro project car. The engine runs but has a loud ticking sound to it. The engine is complete with all the brackets,pulleys,A/C and throttle cable etc. The car runs and drives but has a loud ticking noise that I have yet to figure out what it is.

I was going to put the engine in a project 69 Camaro that I have. Would it be easier or better to just fine a known "good" engine and trans to put in the car?

It would be a bummer to pull the engine and trans only to find out that the condition of the engine is worse that I had bargained for and would need to be immediately rebuilt as it will explode at any time. :(

So would it be better to just resell the Nova and recoup my money in order to buy a different engine and trans combo that has a better chance of being in alot better condition.

Another reason why I purchased the Nova is that it was so complete with all the brackets,Pulleys,throttle cable,A/C and other stuff that I would not have to go looking for that can create headaches as well.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Where do you think the ticking is coming from?? Exhaust,valves,lifters??..

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
Maybe record a video of the running engine and post the url on YouTube for us to visit.
Or get a mechanic friend to visit and let them take a look/listen.

As said, could be an exhaust leak, or a broken exhaust manifold, loose lifter, broken flex plate, worn fuel pump rod, piston slap, or knocking crankshaft beasring knock, (the worst kind).

·
Registered
9 Posts
my 79 had a ticking noise to, we never found it but we think it is that one of the pisons had broken, that may be it we ended up buying a brand new engine and just put the old one in a crate

·
Registered
45 Posts
Depending on what is wrong with your 350 in the nova, it may be more economical just to rebuild the 350. Internal parts for Chevy small block sare usually pretty inexpensive as long as your not trying see large hp numbers. You could still use the brackets and all of the external parts that are on the motor as well.

·
Registered
857 Posts
go to a local machine shop (engine builder) and ask if they have any abandonded motors?
i just picked up a rebuilt 327 with a new steel crank (no heads) for 500 they just wanted the machine time money they had in it and the owner brought them the motor and crank pistons etc..
swapped my 462 2:02 heads over to it and bam new engine for 500 and gaskets!!
another shop i do buisness with called me a month or so ago and said they had an aband. 350 that was 60 over with new flat tops etc. for 1000 also had heads but i didnt want anything bored that far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts