Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I looked at a car for my son today ... 99 SS with 57000 miles ( somebody loves to drive ) ... The car looks nice.. runs nice ... Lots of goodies T-top, keyless, cruise , 6 spd ...I was able to get a work history.
(1) Coolant Sensor ..... 28174 mi
(2) Idler Pulley RPL ... 30870 mi
(3) 3rd Speed Gear R&R . 30870 mi
Internal Trans repair I assume
(4) Eng Mechanical Complaint .. 35952 mi
Dealership unable to duplicate..
(5) Idler Pulley RPL. 2nd time. 37392 mi

The dealership was nice enough to give me name/number of previous owner... I will call and ask him about the car.

The asking price is $17,900. My offer will certainly be less if I decide to pursue this. I would like opinions on the repairs before proceeding . Replacing the idler pulley a 2nd time and the tranny repair are cause for concerns. I think the previous owner really enjoyed all 300+ HP of the car. Fellow, camaro lovers, please chime in ... Is the 99 SS a good car or a model year to avoid? Thanks in advance .... sdtsdt

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
sdtsdt,
The car is not a bad car by any means as far as Camaros of the fourth gen go, The part I would like to help you with and not come off as a bad guy is this. It's way overpriced. The mileage is not really all that much over normal. In my area that I work in the standard for miles on a 99 model would be in the 45k to 50k range. You really need to work them down or get a different one to look at, but thats just my opinion. Good luck

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

·
Retired
26,950 Posts
Sounds like someone worked the warantee, I think many new vehicles don't get problems taken care of even when it's covered. Did the dealer have any records of oil changes or work past the 3/36. #5 is cover as a repete most likely...

What SS (SLP options) are on it? Sticker on the door lists them. All the goodies you mention are fairly standard on every SS If you can find out about oil consumption, The LS1 is famous for it in cars driven in the upper rpm on a reg basis. I think $14-15K and bet the dealer didn't pay more than $12K for it. Since what new 02's there are out there are being marked up $8-10K over MSRP right now they may not budge below $17K Check out www.edmunds.com for some good use car pricing...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When it comes to warrantys, time is the biggest problem. If you are over on miles but under on time, often they will still cover it. It all depends on the relationship you have with the dealer, as he can make it happen or not.

As for price, if you are not trading in anything you should be able to deal down the price. They always make it up. I would look at NADA webesite and see what the car would bring retail and what it would bring as a trade in and go from there.

Nat'l average for mileage is 15,000/yr. All you have to hope is that it was not beat to hell and gone in the 57,000 miles??

I just ran a quick value and came up with about $15,375 trade in and a retail around $20,500+-. The area you are in will make a difference. Look for yourself http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.tp?kbb.MI;;MI061&49934&32&split
------------------
2002 Pontiac TA WS6 Ram Air LS1, 6sp Hurst, TCS, CD Changer - Pewter "Last of the Breed" #3124 of only 12,516 WS6 built
2001 GMC SLT Extended Cab Z71 - Polo Green

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 01-01-2003).]

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for commenting ....

The dealership is the original seller of the car. Their service records also show a couple of bulbs/lamps replaced, a Detonation Sensor, and a brake valve ... all at 30870 miles. When new, the car stickered for about $29,800 so I think it has every option available. I will get the sheet tomorrow to verify. The salesman has put a hold sticker on it for me until I can talk to the service technicians and understand what work was done on it. The report the salesman gave me appears to only shows the warranty claims.

I went to Edmunds and worked up a retail of $15385. I want a nice car, but I feel no urgency ... I will shop again if the price is not right.

·
10,164 Posts
I've heard many six speed LS1's had knocking on startup and oil consumption complaints. If the driver cruzes at elevated rpms in the lower gears it sucks oil past the rings on some engines.
Check on that complaint.
I think some owners traded the cars off in disgust.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
256 Posts
In my area thats close to what a nice '99 SS would sell for a bit high but close How old is your son?A M6 LS1 car is a handful for an experienced driver and insurance will be expensive. My son who is now 22 has a 96 SS with M6 but his first Camaro was a 95 Z W/m6 he bought it at 18 one day while driving away from our house a couple buddies of mine teased him a bit about getting on it so he promptly peddled it hit 2nd and looped it thru the neighbors yard narrowly missing a telephone pole and the house I wouldnt advise a car like this for a inexpireinced driver. IMO they are really nice cars but a kid and a car capable of 150 MPH might not be a good combination. please dont take this the wrong way im just passing on what I have been thru,luckily it scared the hell out of my kid and he learned a valuable lesson!

·
Registered
328 Posts
To add to what David said, piston knock on a cold, stock LS1 is fairly common. The pistons are hypereutectic (or forged, one or the other) so the clearance from the factory is a little looser for the sake of expansion when the engine gets warm. Combine that with factory tolerance norms ranging larger than what WE would like to see and, you can see how they would end up with the problem. I know GM has addressed it and, last I read about it, there was no TSB issued.

Let the engine reach normal operating temps and see if the noise goes away. If it does, that's what it is more than likely.

Good luck. Your son is going to have a blast with a 4th gen. If you want another son, I'm available!

Chad

------------------
67 Firebird...special Super Rust Edition
01 (POS) Ranger.

"IT TASTES LIKE BURNING!" -Ralph Wiggam.

[This message has been edited by Spongebob (edited 01-02-2003).]

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, I got to speak to the original owner who claims the car is very solid. The idler pulley was a GM deal and the 3rd gear fix was a syncro replaced. My son is 18 ( June birthdate ) , freshman in college. I would keep the car this semester and let him have it when the summer rolls around , assuming I am proud of his grades ...
... Anyway, the Mrs is still stuck in neutral about this one, so I am going to see how much the dealer will move in his price. The car is SLP totally optioned ... I have asked my insurance agent to provide a quote and to make sure I am sitting when they give it to me ... We'll see ... either way, this will be done and over this weekend ... Thanks for the response ... sdtsdt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.