Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm finally pulling a trigger on a 1968 4 speed Camaro SS Restomod. It was previously owned, restored and sold to a dealership that has very few information on the car...all they know is that $80K was invested, 350 rebuilt engine, rebuilt transmission, suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. It has 2,000 miles on the new engine. I will go test drive it soon.

My current car is a full bolt on Nissan GT-R, and fortunately there is a forum just for the GTR that helped a lot when it comes to modifying the car and knowing what parts or tunes are needed with that certain "mod" (e.g. getting downpipes requires a re-tune, and having a 700wtq on a stock transmission would blow it thus need to upgrade parts)

I would appreciate the help on basic stuff to know about a 68 Camaro because I don't want to risk buying parts, install them and not knowing what other parts/upgrades are needed to handle the mod. So if anyone could help me with what are the important things to know and do, I would highly appreciate it.

-What upgrades I should be aware of?
-Common 68 problems?
-Where and how often to service the car?

any additional info? Thank you and look forward to be part of this community.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Make a list of all the mods done and the brands used. Pics too. Sometimes you have to be skeptical when someone says they have $80-100k in their restoration. (sometimes they can get that high though).

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
If it has a 4 speed and a rebuilt 350...I'm wondering where the $80k was spent.
What brand of brakes are on it, and how big are the rotors? What wheels?

I'd try to find the previous owner and ask exactly what was done to it and if he has build pics.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I'd be curious to see some pictures, list of mods, etc. From the sounds of it they're pulling the 80k out of their rear to make it sound good on paper. For 80k I'd expect a late model LS based drivetrain, upgraded rear, large brakes/wheels, etc.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro. There are a lot of very talented and smart people on this site. Ask plenty of questions and post photographs. You will get good answers that will help you make a wise decision.

Personally, I would stay away from a dealer. Based on prior posts, it never ends well.
How can the dealer tell you that there was $80,000 invested, but he knows very little about the car? I don't know the asking price, but for $80,000 invested, there should be a modified LS9 under the hood.

If you really like the car, bring someone with you that is knowledgeable on First Gen Camaros. Then go over every inch of the car to make sure the asking price matches the condition and workmanship of the car.

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
^lol

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
As noted above I would not pay any attention to the "$80K invested" line. Look at what you are getting for the money. Look under the car, in the trunk and at the dash area close to the bottom of the windshield. These cars get rust all over in areas like Boston especially wheel wells, bottom of doors, bottom of the rear glass, bottom of the fenders and quarters. Take a magnet and look for bondo.

·
Registered
778 Posts
if they invested $80,000 on the car you shouldn't have to spend a cent

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree with everyone as stated...if $80K was really invested in this thing, it wouldn't have a 4 speed and 350. Hell, I have half that in mine and I will have a 6 speed, full ride tech suspension...and a 350 (would like a 383 or better eventually)..at the end of winter...haha! So where did the other 40K go? If they really did have that into it, I'd expect at least an LS or equivalent built up SBC/BBC motor, 6 speed, modern suspension all around, built rear end, big breaks all around, mini tubbed with sweet wheels (like John's), custom dash/modern gages, all new sheet metal where needed, VERY nice interior, etc....you get the idea. Not saying it isn't a nice car, but I wouldn't necessarily buy that someone has $80K into it. Recently saw a car at a show and the builder said it was a $260K build. VERY nice build, but I didn't see everything add up to that much though...so I'm thinking he added quite a bit for labor.....a little too much if you ask me.....good luck though!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,

thanks for the quick reply. The asking price is $36. I did ask the dealer and he said that he doesn't know what brand mods are on it, he only posted what the previous owner told him to post. Paint alone is $12K, apparently. Here are a few pics of the car:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope this helps, thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Standard interior, no A/C, no tubular A-arms, small disc brakes, decent looking gauges. I don't see anything that says $80k. $35k seems a bit steep to me.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
floor pans look suspect as well. I don't see anywhere near 80 into that unless they were paying someone $150/hr and just said do whatever you want. There are nicer, better done cars out there for that kind of money.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Oh and make sure it has a 1243 vin. Some folks will take a plain jane 6 cyl and try to pass it off as an original v8 car.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Don't get me wrong, from the pics it is a nice looking car, I'm just always skeptical.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it does have a vin 124378N4880983. What? No A/C ?? I mean its fine for now, but does anyone know if its hard to install ac or around how much it would cost?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Well, very little of the $80k went towards the engine or hand made fuel line. That's an 882 headed AutoZone special.

Can't tell on the floors, too much undercoat. Looks like a partial pan that was welded a little and then seam sealed across. With no subframe connectors you'd find out soon enough.

Also don't know what to make of that big crease/crack looking mark on the crossmember under the passenger side control arm dogbone.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice looking car, but I think the $36K is too high for that. Stock suspension...are the bushings even replaced in the suspension? Interior is just plane old interior except for the dash, which I don't think goes with the stock interior. Engine bay doesn't look too impressive for that money...engine looks dirty in the pics....if you want top dollar, you'd think you'd at least clean the engine up. Definitely had a floor pan patch in front of the rear seat...not too well done either for that money. As mentioned....brakes are just stock disc brakes, nothing special. Wheels are just ok.

I will say one thing about the vin....I never understand why people gt all fired up about a V8 being in a 6 cylinder car. Most of the stuff on the cars aren't original anyway, so who cares if it has a V8 now but didn't when it was born. Never understand that.....not like it is supposed to be numbers matching. That I can understand, but just a modified car, who really cares...sorry went a little off topic.

I'd say pass on this one for that money. There are a lot nicer ones for that money out there. I saw a Yenko clone at the local show last weekend and it was NICE and the guy was asking 40K...wish I had the money cause I would have bought it! :D

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Yeah, there is no A/C compressor on the front of that motor. For Vintage Air, you're looking at $1350 ish for the parts before install.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts