Team Camaro Tech banner

BUYING A '69, TIPS, HINTS, TRICKS???

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sleepy-69 
#1 ·
hey guys, this is only my second post, I just sold my '68 Chevelle tonight and am working toward a '69 Camaro around April. The car will be about a 95% strip 5% street car, I know because of the higher demand I am going to look for a base model car, because I know the original SS cars and Z28's go for a lot more regardless of the current state. Any tips or hints you guys can give me? I am basically looking for a base '69 dusk blue on black, with a 355, Turbo 350 12 bolt that runs low 12's, I am gathering parts to build a low 11 second motor for the car eventually. I will probably have around $8,000 to spend come spring time drivetrain and suspension are obviously my prime concerns, Im sure it will be a car that needs some interior work and is primered, but any help you guys could give me would be great. Thank You very much.
Jim

#2 ·
If you're looking for a car that's 95% strip, and mostly interested in running 11's, I'd focus on a good clean body and straight subframes. Dusk Blue is fairly rare...less than 5% of 69's, which equates to about 10,000 cars or by my calculations means about 2500 cars left today +/-. You say you want a non-Z, non-SS, 350, 12 bolt and a 350 TH. You just described an LM-1 car. There are a few out there, but they're pulling almost as much as SS-350's.

What I'd do if I were you, is get a six-banger car with a good clean body...with less than 5% rust. Drivetrain is irrelevant. You'd rather it didn't run, so it'd drop the asking price. If possible, make sure it has all the trim. Trim can add up in a hurry as I continue to learn the hard way. Get it painted the color of your choice with base and clear poly. Purchase a 12 bolt,..fit it with posi and gears of your choice (4.10's would be start for a high revvin' 350 that pulls 11's). I've seen 12 bolt housings in the $500 range. 350TH are readily available used...you could get one that runs well for $200 at most any boneyard. Have it built to your needs for another $500. Then pick you a crate 350 or shortblock and build it to about 400 or 500 ponies. Beef up your subrames so you don't twist the car in two, then blast off!!!

Estimate: 11.9 et for $11,900
Car....$3500 (may be better deals)
12 bolt (built)...$1000
Crate...$4000 (several in price range)
Tranny (built)...$750
Paint...$1000 (not show car, but good)
Wheels and tires...$ 800
Other...$1000 (stuff like, brakes!)
-------------
Bad *** Camaro that runs 11.9 et...$11,900 (rough estimate).

Then come to Ausitn...pick up ol' Sleepy...pin his eyeballs to the headrest. Watch Sleepy smile! Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.