Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a salvage 4th generation camaro and fix it up. Please help me to choose between these cars and If someone has or had salvage vehicles, coupld you please tell me about your experience? Should I buy a salvage car or better to stay away? Thank you in advance!
http://www.vehbidz.com/1997-CHEVROLET-CAMARO,name,838970811,auction_id,1,s,auction_details
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/6680283/Wrecked-1995-Chevrolet-Camaro-Front+end/
http://www.vehbidz.com/1994-CHEVROLET-CAMARO,name,838733493,auction_id,1,s,auction_details
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/6738194/Crashed-1993-Chevrolet-Camaro z28-Side/

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
From what I've seen the scrap and used parts businesses will give you a run for your money if trying to win a salvage car at auction. You'd probably wind up spending close to what you could get a good clean title car that needs nothing especially since you're looking at early fourth gens. Around here an LT1 car with no issues and 100k miles might fetch $3000 on a good day.

·
Retired
26,697 Posts
Do you know that the 2 Vehbidz auctions are for cars the auction doesn't own? If you win the bid the auction company will take your bid and make an offer to the Ins Co that owns the cars! There is no guarantee you'll end up with the car.

Getting back to reality, these cars have totaled (salvaged) titles because the cost to fix them is more than the cars actual value before it was wrecked.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Watch out for any flood cars. They can look like an easy fix and are sometimes hard to tell if anything is wrong, but the damage usually comes months or years down the road with corrosion in the wiring harness. I would NEVER buy a newer car that has seen water. Been there once with a Porsche Boxster. I replaced all the computers and fixed most of the gremlins, but new ones would pop up now and then. It was a fun go-kart anyway. 13.9 in the 1/4 stock.
That's crazy Dennis. I couldn't imagine bidding on something like the vehbidz auctions!

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Welcome, Ryan.
Good suggestions given.

Check with your present insurance agent - they will know because if the vehicle is not repaired to IAA standards, it will not be insurable - now it is an off-road vehicle only.
You will not be able to insure it for full coverage, but then all are over 20 years old....
Also, points off for resale with a branded title.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Welcome, Ryan.
Good suggestions given.

Check with your present insurance agent - they will know because if the vehicle is not repaired to IAA standards, it will not be insurable - now it is an off-road vehicle only.
You will not be able to insure it for full coverage, but then all are over 20 years old....
Also, points off for resale with a branded title.
That must be a VA law. Here in CA there is no such requirement. We have a very high number of salvage titles because the requirements for branding the title are fairly low. An inspection is required, but CA DMV is more concerned with where you purchased the parts to repair than how it was repaired.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr4.htm

General rule of thumb on value here is 50% of retail book value, so it really does kill the price if you plan on reselling it. I would only consider one that was an easy fix at a good price, otherwise you will be upside down on book value.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
There are obviously different laws for different states, but one needs to look at how many are adopting the policy on "Salvage" vehicles not being resold. This is in the interest of the buyers to protect them from vehicles that are unsafe or cannot be made safe!

I would probably not consider a Salvaged car for anything other than parts.As mentioned already be very aware of the Hundreds of thousands of Flood stricken Cars that are out there. Put your money into a vehicle who's history you know that has a proper title and which you will not constantly be fighting and tracking down gremlins.

What appears to be a good deal usually is not and it's ultimately going to bite you in your wallet!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whoa guyz! We are talking about collector cars here. Most owners do not sell these cars. That is the decision the owner will have to make before purchasing the salvage car/vehicle. If he/she is planning on keeping the car it might be a good deal.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
n/m

·
14,290 Posts
I would NEVER buy a salvage title car. Period end of story.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 68 has a salvaged title. It was wrecked way back in the day and the guy I bought it off had pictures if it after the wreck. It was back in the early 80's and the car had front end damage. At the time the repairs cost more then the car was worth (before people started seeing these car's as real collector cars) and it was tagged Salvage.

The repairs were done shortly after the accident using GM parts as they were still available at the dealership. I still have all the receipts (as you must show these at the inspection in Ohio).

The car was never finished, but had new front fenders, upper/lower cowl and hood installed (all GM). It also came with new grille, headlight assemblies and various other new in box GM parts.

I have huge folder of receipts from the two previous owners and am finishing the car. The car is/was in much, much better shape then a lot of the clean titled rust piles some guys have bought to restore.

When talking first gen or classic cars, having a rebuilt Salvage title IMO is not a big deal, most clean title classic cars are total rebuilds as well.

There are rules to getting title from Salvage to rebuilt Salvage and varies big time for state to state.

Ohio, is a lil picky. And I hope I have no issues, but it depends on the inspector, they can be understanding or real hard @ss pricks about it and go as far as keeping the car as long as needed and remove parts to check numbers and scrape off paint to see them and then leave it for you to put back together and repair any damge they caused to see those numbers.

Main thing (in Ohio at least) is keep ALL receipts for anything needed to repair the damaged areas. I'm keeping everything though, just in case and I am going to put them in marked and tabbed sleeves in a 3 ring binder for my inspection. Figure if I make thier job easier and show I have nothing to hide they will make it smooth for me. Ohio is also more concerned with stolen parts then the safety of the vehicle. They said it was not a safety inspection but a stolen goods inspection.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I would NEVER buy a salvage title car. Period end of story.
Considering the amount of work done in most restorations, they should all have salvage titles lol. Thankfully the nanny states haven't gotten there yet. As far as buying a salvage titled car, I'd consider it depending on what happened and if the price were right which it rarely is. I'd never buy a flood car again. Live and learn....

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Ohio is also more concerned with stolen parts then the safety of the vehicle. They said it was not a safety inspection but a stolen goods inspection.
I think that's the case for most states. I remember when I lived in Cali, they busted a ring that would go out, steal high end cars, strip them carefully, save the parts and leave the body in a known location. When the body would go to auction, they'd bid on it/buy it and put the car back together. Whala, they have a legal car to sell for big money...

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
All good info and anecdotes. But lets not forget this is the Fourth Generation forum and the cars in question are '93-'97 cars, two of the ones linked are V6 models. A lot of the good info on the older cars won't even be seen by most as many don't do like us and view "Today's Posts" and such. Not taking away anything from the conversation of course, just pointing it out.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
All good info and anecdotes. But lets not forget this is the Fourth Generation forum and the cars in question are '93-'97 cars, two of the ones linked are V6 models.
Very good point. I wouldn't touch a salvage titled one more than likely. Again, depends on a lot of things. Besides, you're talking less than $1,500 for a decent high mileage 93-95 Z28. $4,500 gets you something real nice 93-97.

·
Registered
913 Posts
All good info and anecdotes. But lets not forget this is the Fourth Generation forum and the cars in question are '93-'97 cars, two of the ones linked are V6 models. A lot of the good info on the older cars won't even be seen by most as many don't do like us and view "Today's Posts" and such. Not taking away anything from the conversation of course, just pointing it out.
Stiener, you are correct my friend. I get so used to talking first Gens, I missed this being a 4th Gen and was just trying to give my experience.

I agree 100% on a newer car I would shy away from a Salvage title unless dirt, dirt cheap. Every piece on a new car has a number to match to receipt and the inspection can be a lot tougher. On our old cars, not many numbers to match, so a lil easier.

Sorry if I hi-jacked this off topic on 4th gen models. :beers:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
No apology needed Scott. Good info is good info and for those who look for it, yours will still turn up. Just was pointing it out. I'm more guilty than most of getting off topic and you weren't really off topic, just off a couple generations ha ha. I had just seen something earlier where someone said "we're talking about classic cars here" and started to mention it was the Fourth Gen forum (you can see my edited post) because I often don't realize what forum I'm in myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much guys for your help! PhantomRider, thanks for sharing your experience too, but did I understand it right, you would never buy a 4th generation camaro if it had salvage title?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts