Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've had this slight buzzing/humming from what sounds to be coming from under my dash. It only occurs when the engine is running and does not increase with engine RPM.

Here is what I've already done:
The noise was there since BEFORE I took my entire front clip, subframe, drivetrain, interior out. During this "resto" I replaced the engine and accessories, transmission, front wiring harness, relocated battery to trunk, relocated 6AL Ignition Box and HVC Coil to under dash; replaced all power and ground wires, re-routed all RCA and speaker wires to be far away from power. Replaced alternator to internally regulated; removed VR and installed new horn relay.

Step by step, I have done the following and checked for the noise. None of these have made any change(s).

-Checked all my grounds; replaced the ground straps, wire wheeled the grounding locations down to bare metal, tried star washers, etc.
-My stereo is completed grounded (correctly) and I've even disconnected/removed it completely, started the car and buzzing is still there.
-I've tried multiple different grounds for my amplifiers, head unit, etc.
-Replaced my head unit (Alpine to Pioneer)
-I replaced my MSD Ignition Box with the newer "digital" one and replaced my HVC Blaster Coil with a "Blaster SS" coil.
Yes - positive and grounds are running directly to battery.
-Tried the MSD Noise Filter
-Tried PAC Ground Loop Isolators
-Checked and disconnected the door buzzer/sensor
-Checked and replaced the signal clicker thing under dash (don't know what it's called)
-Checked the "key buzzer" but this is a different noise
-Tried running the car with alternator unplugged; tried wiring in an in-line resistor

I'm running a 383 Stroker/4L65E (replaced a 350/TH350), MSD Distributor, 6AL ignition box with HVC Blaster coil; engine is now EFI (Sniper Holley). Note: buzzing sound existed prior to all these changes.

Running out of ways to diagnose and things to replace. Most people I've explained this to have simply said "ground loop" but after all the work I've done...how is this possible? I'm really lost and I have just been turning up my stereo volume to ignore the issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you have the buzzing with the ignition on but engine not running?
Almost everything is fused on a 69. Have you tried pulling each fuse to see if the noise goes away? That will narrow the search.
If you only have the buzzing with the engine running, but it does not increase with rpm, it could well be a vibration in lieu of an electrical issue. Do you have a copper oil pressure line?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Horn relay? Is it under the dash?

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
485 Posts
I've had an MSD digital 6AL make a chirping / buzzing noise. i have mine mounted behind the glovebox. it would chirp / buzz with the little red LED. at some point the chirping / buzzing stopped and unfortunately i'm not 100% sure when or with what change it stopped. the box is still there and still works, just silently now. i think it started and stopped chirping when i switched from an original oil filled blaster 2 coil to the epoxy filled blaster 2 and then back to the oil filled when the epoxy one took a crap........if any of that made sense. it did not make the chirping/ buzzing noise when first installed and it does not make it now. in between i switched coils, then switched back.

try to get your head or ear behind the dash where you have the 6AL mounted while the cars running and see if that's where its coming from. it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from. i thought i was getting whining through my speakers for the longest time until one day i finally narrowed it down.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have seen these type of electrical components vibrate creating a buzzing noise. There might be something like that in some device in your car. If this is something that is causing the noise I have smeared silicone around it to lock in the ferrite core to the wire windings to quiet it up.

Another things I've seen is a speaker like a tweeter wire picking up induced noise from where the wires are run. To see if that is the issue disconnect the speaker from the wire at the speaker and see if the noise goes away.

Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys!

@Legacy 69 - My wiper motor was deleted along with wipers from 2010-2020. Motor died and then I smoothed firewall; just installed a RainGear system that works flawlessly.

@R66- The buzzing is only present with engine running. If I have it on acc, everything sounds as it should. I haven't tried pulling each fuse but I can give that a shot.
No copper lines; I have an electrical oil pressure gauge. I also deleted my heat; no A/C. I don't know what could be vibrating.

@dhutton - Horn Relay has been replaced and relocated to under dash (driver's side). I checked it and that's not the source. The buzzing was there before Horn Relay was replaced and relocated.

@bhodgdon400 - I suspected the 6AL was the cause as it's mounted behind the glovebox and that's where the noise comes from. I took out the 6AL, replaced it with the digital version, didn't mount it (kept it on the passenger floor board) and started the car. Noise still there, nothing coming from the ignition box.

@SOA-Nova -that's a great tip. I'm just trying to think which component may have that coil in it? I've basically gone through and diagnosed/replaced everything that would have coil like that. Any suggestions on where else to look?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
When the AC was deleted could they have left something like the cowl firewall flapper in the car and the seals are worn out and it's vibrating ?. I think this control door is above the glove box area but inside the cowl on some year Camaro's.

Just spit balling here.

Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry, I never had A/C. I only deleted the heat when I smoothed the firewall.

Would any of the heat ducts cause any sort of buzzing/vibration? I left the ducts in the dash but removed the kick panels, heater core, etc.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Non-resistor spark plugs?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Non-resistor spark plugs?
When I did the engine swap, I installed MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires and Champion Racing Spark Plugs RC12YC. Both I believe are non-resistor.

MSD wires claim "This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference "choke." This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle."

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I hope you tell us what what the noise is when you figure it out.

Mr. SOA-Nova is correct. Anything with coil of wires could be buzzing. Relays, electric motor that has power but is not turning, electric clock, gauges including electric speedometer, tach, the center dash speaker voice coils etc. I don't think is is any of these because you say it is coming from the glove compartment area. The only thing like this in this area is the heater blower motor which I think has been removed. The only other thing is the ignition module which you say is ok.

Do you have a radical cam that is causing the car to vibrate? It could be something crazy like the the stainless steel windshield molding is vibrating. It could be something inside the dash that is rubbing on another object and singing to you. I hope that your car is not rusted A piece of metal could be vibrating because it is no longer securely fastened because of rust.

Spark plugs and leaky spark plug wires have a popping sound. The popping sound gets faster as the RPM increases.

Are you hearing the sound through the speakers of your radio?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,

Update here - I think I found the cause of the noise. This is still unconfirmed but I used a stethoscope and the buzzing appears to be coming from the MSD box which is mounted under my dash.

I changed this box out before (when I was diagnosing the problem) and I still had the same buzzing noise so I put my old one back in. Now that I know the buzzing is coming from inside this box, I will try to repair or replace it.

Has anyone had this issue with the 6AL box? What's the remedy - repair or replace?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey guys,

Update here - I think I found the cause of the noise. This is still unconfirmed but I used a stethoscope and the buzzing appears to be coming from the MSD box which is mounted under my dash.

I changed this box out before (when I was diagnosing the problem) and I still had the same buzzing noise so I put my old one back in. Now that I know the buzzing is coming from inside this box, I will try to repair or replace it.

Has anyone had this issue with the 6AL box? What's the remedy - repair or replace?
Let me ask you this, is the box actually from MSD or a fake ?. The reason I'm asking I saw some info not too long ago about fake MSD boxes and who would have thought ?

I do wonder if it is a coil with wire wrapped around it and it is resonating.

I've never had one apart but I wonder if they have the circuit board exposed or is it buried in potting material ?. Potting material was used years ago to seal up things and would render things inside pretty much non-serviceable. It was also done to lock things together so things would not be damaged by vibrations. I remember years ago with a car amplifier in a boat and from the constant pounding some of the capacitors mounted just a tad off of the circuit board and held in place by the legs of the capacitor allowed it to wiggle back and forth and over time the leads finally broke. Sorta like bending a coat hanger back and forth in one spot and it eventually fails at that bend. On this amp it was covered under warranty and when I got it back took the cover off and added some silicone around the capacitors to lock them down solid and support them better.

Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me ask you this, is the box actually from MSD or a fake ?. The reason I'm asking I saw some info not too long ago about fake MSD boxes and who would have thought ?

I do wonder if it is a coil with wire wrapped around it and it is resonating.

I've never had one apart but I wonder if they have the circuit board exposed or is it buried in potting material ?. Potting material was used years ago to seal up things and would render things inside pretty much non-serviceable. It was also done to lock things together so things would not be damaged by vibrations. I remember years ago with a car amplifier in a boat and from the constant pounding some of the capacitors mounted just a tad off of the circuit board and held in place by the legs of the capacitor allowed it to wiggle back and forth and over time the leads finally broke. Sorta like bending a coat hanger back and forth in one spot and it eventually fails at that bend. On this amp it was covered under warranty and when I got it back took the cover off and added some silicone around the capacitors to lock them down solid and support them better.

Jim
Yes it’s a real MSD; purchased it from a local reputable auto parts store.
I’m not sure what it looks like inside - I don’t want to open it and void any sort of warranty.

I sent a technical inquiry to MSD to see what they have to say. I did the Holley Sniper EFI last year so I’m thinking, if I have to replace my 6AL, I mine as well just get the Holley Sniper box.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
485 Posts
Hey guys,

as stated earlier, i had the same exact issue with a newer digital 6AL. it did not make the noise when i first installed and set it up but at some point it started doing the chirping. also as stated, i learned to live with it. eventually my epoxy filled blaster 2 coil failed. i switched back to the old style oil filled blaster 2 coil. noise was gone. at athat point i started to think that the epoxy coil was causing the box to chirp. i never changed the 6AL box. try switching to the standard oil filled blaster 2 coil and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as stated earlier, i had the same exact issue with a newer digital 6AL. it did not make the noise when i first installed and set it up but at some point it started doing the chirping. also as stated, i learned to live with it. eventually my epoxy filled blaster 2 coil failed. i switched back to the old style oil filled blaster 2 coil. noise was gone. at athat point i started to think that the epoxy coil was causing the box to chirp. i never changed the 6AL box. try switching to the standard oil filled blaster 2 coil and see if it makes a difference.
thanks I will try the coil first and see if the box changes its tune!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts