Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retired nearly 2 months ago. I thought I'd be leaving that world behind but its following me around a little. If any of you guys are cad pilots and can recommend a .dwg freeware or cheapware package please do. I really dont expect to need 3d. I dont want to need it. I now need to communicate concepts in 2d and may need to do so in the future. I dont expect this effort to leave the hobby level.
CAD pricing has gotten crazy for entry level people. My employer was shelling out a little over 4K/ month for my Autodesk package. Maybe it was worth it.
There are many cad options out there. Most seem to be subscription based. I would like to avoid that if possible.
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use AutoCad LT and SketchUp Pro.
SketchUp had a free version if you want some 3D capability. It is great for simple 3D drawings to get ideas across.
The AutoCad LT is about $350 per year.

·
Retired
26,825 Posts
I did "everything support" for a Microstation based GIS system until I retired. Was happy to get away from it when I retired in 2008. I ended up with 2 home projects during my covid staycation. I used LibreCAD to draw my kitchen floor plan and to design and build my wife a green house. LibreCAD is freeware and accepts many formats inc .dxf and .dwg

·
Vendor
14 Posts
You may want to check out Autodesk's Fusion 360. There is a free version available for hobbyists. It has a very powerful 3D application and a very capable 2D drafting feature.

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys
I think this is my plan.
1 - check out fusion. This was in my design suite package at my old job. I never used it and cant remember ever opening it. I know the guys were running the lasers with it though. I logged in for a look and hit a bump that i have to sort out. Autodesk cant tell retired me from working me yet.
2 - check out some version of CMS Intellicad. One time buy. I need to try the free time trial out.
3x

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
darn ipad and fat fingers...
3 - Autocad LT description
The sad part of all this is that I have a standalone 2013 Design Suite package in my PC that the Win10 upgrade from 7Pro broke all the links to.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,156 Posts
If you're sticking to 2D programs, my fav is VISIO and primarily the ancient version Microsoft Visio 2010. Many people think Visio is a diagraming program but it actually can be used for many things. I use it to create both diagrams and 2D CAD drawings. Its extremely easy to learn and use, and there's a dedicated forum online with hundreds of devotees who will gladly help anyone out with solutions to problems. It can scale drawings in any number of formats including architectural. My only gripe with VISIO is that it doesn't run on my Macs... I keep an old PC running Windows 10 for now, but I'm going to setup one of my Macs with a dual OS, Mac OS and Windows 10 so I can save some desk space. Here's a couple of VISIO examples:

I measured up my core to valance cover and created a scaled drawing that can be saved as a DXF/CAD drawing and opened in most CAD/CNC applications. I've never had any formal CAD training, I just create my drawing like any draftsman would on paper and save it as a PDF, JPG, DXF, or whatever.

VISIO is chock full of useful preset icons used in a variety of environments from mechanical to electrical to networking. Sometimes I use the preset icons, other times I create my own. This was one of the front core support area wiring drawings I made to work against as I installed Vintage Air, eFans, PWM, RS electronic controlled headlights, and more. I usually save the final drawings like this as PDFs and JPGs.

In addition to the VISIO forum, there's a number of reference/hoow-to books on the program. I'm still using a 900 page Microsoft Visio 2003 reference book for all my needs, and when I get stumped, I go to the Forum. Here's a link for the VISIO GUY FORUM and don't be fooled by the name, its a pretty decent group.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
If you're sticking to 2D programs, my fav is VISIO and primarily the ancient version Microsoft Visio 2010. Many people think Visio is a diagraming program but it actually can be used for many things. I use it to create both diagrams and 2D CAD drawings. Its extremely easy to learn and use, and there's a dedicated forum online with hundreds of devotees who will gladly help anyone out with solutions to problems. It can scale drawings in any number of formats including architectural. My only gripe with VISIO is that it doesn't run on my Macs... I keep an old PC running Windows 10 for now, but I'm going to setup one of my Macs with a dual OS, Mac OS and Windows 10 so I can save some desk space. Here's a couple of VISIO examples:

View attachment 274819

I measured up my core to valance cover and created a scaled drawing that can be saved as a DXF/CAD drawing and opened in most CAD/CNC applications. I've never had any formal CAD training, I just create my drawing like any draftsman would on paper and save it as a PDF, JPG, DXF, or whatever.

View attachment 274820
VISIO is chock full of useful preset icons used in a variety of environments from mechanical to electrical to networking. Sometimes I use the preset icons, other times I create my own. This was one of the front core support area wiring drawings I made to work against as I installed Vintage Air, eFans, PWM, RS electronic controlled headlights, and more. I usually save the final drawings like this as PDFs and JPGs.

In addition to the VISIO forum, there's a number of reference/hoow-to books on the program. I'm still using a 900 page Microsoft Visio 2003 reference book for all my needs, and when I get stumped, I go to the Forum. Here's a link for the VISIO GUY FORUM and don't be fooled by the name, its a pretty decent group.

Mike
Visio does all that?! Wow, I'm impressed.
We use Inventor at work. I played with Visio a little....might do more now.
Brett 🚀 🚀 🚀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts