Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My winter project has now moved to detailing the brake caliper mounting brackets and backing plates. My books call for Cadium Dichromate. The guy who does all the plating in the area says he can do it but he uses "Zink" not Cadium and that no plating shops do Cadium plating anymore. What do you guys think? Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
He is right. Cadmium was determined to be too toxic many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
33,287 Posts
Zinc plating is the chosen coating for external environment, other than Stainless steel Series 316, used on marine applications.

If for the suspension and brakes, stick with Zinc plated. Hopefully, the plater hasn't overcooked the fasteners when bathing before plating...this will affect the hardness of the bolt.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I had to use oversized rivets because the original-size rivets don't fit the oblong'ish hole in the new ball joints. But, yeah, I riveted them in. Even painted them black later on to match the original.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deejaygee, fantastic picture. My plater said the zink look is "not" the same, as you pointed out. Brighter I think. Do you have any more pictures of that scope of your project? One w/ caliper installed? Thanks for the help. John

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Cad plating stopped in most places many years ago when cadmium was identified as a carcinogen. Pure cad plating was silver-colored, just like zinc, BTW; many platers add a dichromate dip after zinc plating (like they used to do with cad) to get the "gold" and multi-hued appearance.

OEM fasteners that used to be cad-plated were silver-colored; now they're zinc-plated instead and are still silver-colored. Make sure any fasteners you have commercially plated are annealed afterwards - otherwise you run the risk of hydrogen embrittlement, and they'll fail (sounds like a rifle shot when they pop).

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 10 of 10 Posts