Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question for you guys. I am in the final stages of my LS2 swap into my 69 RS and am trying to find the best place to run my CAI. I wanted to run it through the core support but the RS head light doors will not let that happen. I know I can just run it into the front drivers or passengers side fender corner but I wanted more cold air than just putting it in the corner of the fender. I was thinking since I relocated the battery to the trunk I could cut a hole in the inner front fender well where the battery used to sit and put the cone filter down in the area under the fender well between the front valance and the tire. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
https://www.roto-fab.com/1967-69-camaro-ls-engine-swap-cold-air-intake

This is what I used. It is sealed to the engine compartment so you would only be getting cold air from around the headlight areas. I really think that is the best place to draw air. You won't get the air flow going through the fender well or have room for a filter with the angle the fender extension is.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mike, welcome to Team Camaro! this is a great source for info but this may be in wrong section, you may try the LSX Swap section
LSx Swap - Team Camaro Tech
as regulars probably dont visit this section often, I know I dont.
Here ia a link to a great LS website- I hope this is OK but tons of LS swap people there
Conversions & Hybrids - LS1TECH
I am doing a LS6 into a 69 Firebird but havent gotten that far with it :( (I have been chomping at the bit to start back on it!)
sounds like you are closer than I am good luck with your swap and you may want to post some pics up -maybe start new thread in LSX swap section
I am former Chicagoan (grew up in Deerfield) GO Cubs!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I will try there. I love this site and all the beautiful Camaros!!. I have done many Chevys in the past but this is my first 69 and it has been my life long dream to have one and now I do. LOTS LOTS LOTS more money into this build than I originally wanted but it will be worth it in the end. I Sold a 69 Chevelle SS that I literally just finish a frame off on and only drove it once to get this car when it came up for sale. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
heck, I just learned more seeing Huskers link there thanks I like the look of that air intake system!
Mike post some pics up men are visual creatures! I have had several 69s over the last 38 years of car ownership they are worth it! enjoy!

·
14,272 Posts
I would not go to the trouble of putting it through the inner fender.

The area behind the headlight even on an RS gets lots of cool enough air already. Plus don't have to deal with the debris and water from the tire throwing it into your filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about the debris but I figured I could put a block plate between the filter and the tire. SO that area in the fender corner gets enough air? That would be a lot easier than going through the lower inner fender for sure.

·
14,272 Posts
I thought about the debris but I figured I could put a block plate between the filter and the tire. SO that area in the fender corner gets enough air? That would be a lot easier than going through the lower inner fender for sure.
I ran Spectra intake on my built LS7 RS and my LS3 525 Standard. Also ran Airaid on an LS3 480. All behind the driver side headlight.

Moved batteries to trnk and used the tray area for fuse box

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ran the roto-fab unit as well. I have to say out of everything that I bought. The fit and finish on this is just awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Roto-fab is a great company. I have been working with them on their engine covers. They actually sent me a set to cut up to fit around things on my engine for mock up. I just sent them back and they are going to make me a custom set for the normal price. The only extra cost I had is I had to pay for shipping the set back. The covers are a pretty heavy gauge aluminum and are probably close to 1/16" thick.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,649 Posts
GPHusker, any pics of their cover?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are nice air boxes but they are kind of pricy but you get what you pay for right. It does look like a nice piece!!.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran Spectra intake on my built LS7 RS and my LS3 525 Standard. Also ran Airaid on an LS3 480. All behind the driver side headlight.

Moved batteries to trnk and used the tray area for fuse box

Vega$69, If you used that spot and had no issues with more HP than mine I would be comfortable using that spot. Mine is basically stock (for now).. :grin2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure if my last PM went to you. Yes if it is for a 69 Camaro then I am interested in it. How much and what TB is it for?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here is a picture of their mock-up covers on my engine. The paint on them is just spray paint and really looks like crap. Like I said, it was just some mock-up ones they sent. The new covers come bare aluminum and you need to paint them up as you want.

Small world when I was doing research about the fitment of the Rotofab CAI. Your car with those covers were showing up everywhere. I just wish they made the same cover in reverse So i could mount it on the passenger side as well. It looks unbalanced to me. The unit itself is just a whole other step above though as far as finish. Super Nice.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Small world when I was doing research about the fitment of the Rotofab CAI. Your car with those covers were showing up everywhere. I just wish they made the same cover in reverse So i could mount it on the passenger side as well. It looks unbalanced to me. The unit itself is just a whole other step above though as far as finish. Super Nice.

I know which picture you are talking about but that actually is just a stock picture they have. It may actually be the same covers though because the guy I'm talking to (Mike) apparently has a 69 Camaro and he has had these covers on his car for pictures. I'm guessing his car was in the pictures that are all over the net.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts