Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post so I'll try here. This is in the State of California. Has anyone ever switched from newer plates back to the older black plates with yellow numbers?? I got a real nice pair of black plates to put on my 67. It has the newer white reflective now.Lady at the DMV told me the cut off date is 1962 for year of issue and the the black plates are 1963 year of issue.She said I can't change them. Has anyone out there had success at this? or did I just get a ding dong that don't know whats going on??? .

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
In Texas , to run the same year plates as the car, they have to match the year and prolly have to be approved by the hiway dept. I did two cars this way and they issued a sticker and / or a 5 year tab. I like the 5 year tab as you don'g have to renew sticker every year for $$$$. Maybe the same rule applies to Calif.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
The lady at the DMV is correct. The California DMV won’t let you use the 1963 series “black plates” under the year of manufacture (YOM) program. The only legal way a car in California can have black plates is if they were issued to that car from 1963 – 1969.

I believe this is because the black plates have never been retired. On Jan. 1, 1963 all cars in Calif. were issued new black plates, and all 1956 series yellow plates were retired on that date. The YOM program is only for retired series plates. The last mass retirement of a plate series 44 years ago has never happened since, and with the large number of cars currently in the state it probably never will again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Cool info! When I bought my 1968 ChevyII Nova SS 396 L78 4spd car from Stockon California it came with the original California Black Plates.Plates read,VND 268.Pulled the stickers and got to the last one that shows 68...Dan

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe some can answer this question for me? My 69 SS350 has the original black plates with the yellow letters/numbers. Plates start with the letter "Z".
The last time it was registered was about 1995. I cannot recall if I went non op or not (stupid 18 year old). The car has been in the "restoration process" for 12 years now. A friend of mine ran the plates and came up with no record found. My question, is will I be able to register it using the original plates? Same numbers appear on the cars title as well. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Maybe some can answer this question for me? My 69 SS350 has the original black plates with the yellow letters/numbers. Plates start with the letter "Z".
The last time it was registered was about 1995. I cannot recall if I went non op or not (stupid 18 year old). The car has been in the "restoration process" for 12 years now. A friend of mine ran the plates and came up with no record found. My question, is will I be able to register it using the original plates? Same numbers appear on the cars title as well. Thanks in advance

Read post #9

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64092

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
When a vehicle is non-opped the DMV sends an invitation for you to register it every year. The invitation looks like a standard renewal notice with the VIN and license plate number the DMV has on file in their system. Vehicles stay in their system for several years. The only thing required to re-register the vehicle is the invitation, proof of insurance, a smog certificate for 1976 and newer cars, and of course the license fees. The California DMV does not require an inspection to register a non-opped car so there will be no opportunity to trick an inspector into falsifying a document for you. If you tell the DMV the plates are missing they will just issue you new plates. You will have to submit the non-op invitation or an old registration or pink slip in your name. Unfortunately none of this required documentation will have the numbers from the black plates you picked up at the swap meet.

Short of forging the plate number on an old registration on a car that had dropped out of the system after several years of inactivity, I don’t think there is much of a chance.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You Cant Do It!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I recently moved to Germany, when my registration was due CA DMV sent me the renewal notice, and I did a planned non operational (PNO) registration on the 69. No problem, I think I can go PNO as long as Ilike, just have to keep paying the fee.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I still run PNO on my CA black plate cars and I've been in Michigan for almost 3 years. I can't give them up quite yet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have had no luck !!...And I have tried off and on for 15 years:(

The only way you can ever bring back California Black Plates is if you have proof your car was originally issued the actual Plates that an individual would be trying to have issued.

Examples
1. If your car had black plates and you moved out of State and now you were moving back into the state and you kept your Black Plates and original California DMV Documents.
2. If you live in the State of California and you buy Personalized Plates. Then somewhere down the road you decide you no longer want to run with the personalized plates. You can go back to your Black Plates if you (A) still have the Plates and (B) you kept the original California DMV Documents showing your car was originally issued the same set of Black Plates.

The last example has worked a number of times for different friends of mine over the last 15 to 20 years.
I don't know anyone who has tried it in recent years, but it should still work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts