Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a new cam and heads in my 350 with the assistance of one of my mechanic friends. I am a newbie when it comes to engine building and would like to get your input in addition to his on what would be some good options for me to consider for a cam and heads. I had spoke to the person who had the engine prior to me and he said that the existing heads are not ported/polished and are just basic and the cam is a bit "bigger" but there is definite room for improvement. There is currently a Holly double pumper on a standard aluminum intake. I have a Ford 9" with a 4-speed Saginaw. I'd like to spend around $1500- $2500 and with this I'd like to get as much bang for my buck as I can. I'd greatly appreciate your suggestions and feedback!

Thank you much!

Here are some pics of the engine when it was in the car:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a new motor in my 1969 Camaro, just put it in less than a year ago, 400 miles. It is a 350 with flattop pistons. I had the same questions, what type of heads and cam. I do not race the car, street/show only. I went with a set of new GM Vortec .062 casting number, not a lot of lift 480 max, but put in a Lunati Brackett Master II cam and lifter set part number 00017LK. Has a great sound and runs great, with that cam and heads great low to mid hp. But I also built my motor for 0-80 MPH. I would not change it, and it would be under your price limit. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i would suggest the iron eagle 69cc heads and previous cam mentioned--also i dont see a pvc system on current set up--need a breather on one side and a pvc on opposite side

·
Registered
166 Posts
With your budget you have a lot of options. I'd look for a matched package top end kit from one of the major vendors so you know everything will work together, plus they come with gaskets, bolts, etc. This one from Edelbrock gets you aluminum heads and a retro-fit roller cam for less than $2k:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2099/
Note that the roller lifters aren't included, but you'll still be under budget after adding some. Edelbrock has similar flat tappet packages too, but at the high-end of your budget you should consider a roller upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts