Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys recently i posted the combo in the truck that i just bought. It is a 400 sbc that i bought not too long ago. It has three lobes wiped out on the 268xe that was in it. When i pulled it apart, i found that it had a cloyes hex-a-just timing chain set, with a needle bearing cam button, and the torrington bearing behind it. I thought these were only needed for rollers. Will it hurt anything to use it again, or should i use a regular chain? I have a regular cloyes true roller new in the box, but would like to use the one in it if it won't harm anything, it looks like it mates to the aluminum cover nice, but i'm worried that this might put unneeded stress on the cam. thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I use these but with a roller cam and the covers are nice. You can reuse them but in your case it could be an over kill with a flat tappet but people do use the standard thrust buttons without the torrington bearing capsulated in the gear. Do remember they ask for you to have 0 endplay. In your case I would make sure of that as you dont want the rear bearing to fall out. Just two fingers tight if at all

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok good idea thanks guys, i was worried if i ran the torrington without the button, it could come off the back and fall down slightly, but i don't think that the cam moves forward that much anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.