Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a friend that wants me to put a comp cam 270H in my crate 350/290hp motor.The cam is old school!!!Does anybody think that this will work in my 350/290hp low compression crate motor(cam is free... to me) Should I invest the time to install it.
The crate motor has a performer intake and eddy carb, header, 2-1/2 exhaust system.Now
ANY THOUGHTS
[email protected]/.470 lift int.-exh. and on 110 C/L (install @ 106 C/L)
hydraulic lifter cam

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I put that cam in my 327, with dart heads, 1.6 rockers, perf rpm, and edel 600, headers and good exhaust of course. It run good. Nice off the line torque (needed at the time with M20 & 3.08 gears) and would happily rev to about 6200, real strong thru the midrange, and a noticble "coming on the cam effect" at 25-2800.

two winters ago, I stroked her to 383 but left all the same top end. In the 383, it's a torque monster, but all done at 5500.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a friend that wants me to put a comp cam 270H in my crate 350/290 motor.The cam is old school!!!Does anybody think that this will work in my 350/290 low compression crate motor(cam is free... to me) Should I invest the time to install it.
The crate motor has a performer intake and eddy carb,now. header, 2-1/2 exhaust system.
ANY THOUGHTS
[email protected]/.485 lift int.-exh. and on 110 C/L (install @ 106 C/L)
hydraulic lifter cam
There's nothing wrong with single pattern cams. A longer exhaust duration and wider lobe center give a earlier blowdown of spent gasses, which is good for higher RPM but sacrifices torque. A lot of people would be happier with single pattern cams in street vehicles that aren't set up for top end power.

http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.html#2003

In my pickup truck I'm running a junkyard 400 bottom end with pocket ported 1.94/1.5 heads and a 278 single pattern cam, and it pulls pretty good. :yes:

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Youll LOVE that 270 in the 290 crate motor. Coincidently, my neighbor bought this same crate 290hp from paceparts and I recommended the 270 for him. He put the motor in his cj6 and that thing was awesome. Idle was noticeable and it pulled all day long.....go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts