Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting a new cam in my 69 350 engine, and engine was rotated after cam removed. How do I find out tdc on #1 cylinder ? Do I install cam and set the valves first? Then line up the marks? Can I accidentally install the timing gear 180 degrees out (one rotation)???

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Your O.K the key slot on the crank is at top dead center #1. It should automatically be in the proper orientation when the dot is pointing straight up.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
What's confusing about the timing alignment is that when both the crank and the cam oritientation marks are at 12:00, you're on #1 TDC. It would have made more sense to have both dots pointing to one another - you can do that but then you're on #6 TDC (which we call 180* out). But have no fear, if you are 180* out, you just have to pull the distributor, turn the rotor it 180* and stick it back in.

I'd save the valve setting for last. The cam is much easier to fool with when you don't have the lifters pressing down on them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but when you install the cam and crank gears they should be dot to dot right? This is just so you do not offset either gear right?? Then crank over until cam dot is on top and then set valves??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts