Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well been a long time since i have touched the motor and its been out of the car for years. want to freshen it up and would like a little bit stronger cam One i took out is an older Crane Cam HMV278-2-NC. Heads are older Sportsmans II with 64CC and pistons are 30 over flat tops with reliefs cut into them. Dont want a real drastic cam but one that will sound nice if you know what i mean and can still be driven in traffic.

Mahalo

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
What is the engine size ? 350 ? 327 ? 383 ? 400 ?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I just put in a Comp Cam with a .501 lift. It sounds mean but not to big of a lobe that you would need to keep giving it gas to to stay at just idle. Ill try and get a part number and maybe a sound clip.

·
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the engine size ? 350 ? 327 ? 383 ? 400 ?
sorry its a 350 +.030 over with flat top pistons. Intake is a Performer RPM with a Elderbrock 8867/600 CFM carb. Roller tip rockers 1.52.1

Also motor didnt have very many miles on it but since its been sitting so long i want to go thgough it and since it will be all apart would a honing be good and a new set of rings and all bearings of course.

Tranny is a T-499 with B&M shift kit, rearend geared at 3:73 Not sure of what the converter is since it was in the car when bought. Again long time since it has spun so that will be replaced as well. Ideas on that as well?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
OK so we're looking at a 4.030" Bore - 3.49 Stoke - 64cc head - Shim .018" x 4.100" Head Gasket - Pistons .025" down in the Bore - Flat top -5cc Pistons which should give you approx a 10.3:1 Static Compression.

So now you want a Cam with an intake duration that will get you close to an 8.2 DCR for Pump gas. I would say a 278H-10 cam should give you approx an 8.24:1 DCR & an 280H-10 cam would give approx an 8.17:1 DCR. A 280H (or S) 10 Cam would probably be more Gas Pump Friendly and put the power band a little higher. If that 278 cam does NOT Ping now I would tend to stick with it; on the other hand, you can easily go as Hi as a 282 Cam with an 8.1:1 DCR without issues.

Cam selection isn't only about DCR Vs Pump Gas - Lots has to do with Gear Ratio's and what you want to do with your ride.

P. Kelley's DCR Calculator can give you a good starting point to pick a Cam Found here: http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts