-KB 203 pistons w/-12cc domes
-3999241 heads ported w/2.19-1.88
-cc'ed @ 110 cc
-Comp cams Grind #CB 314H-R10--
Hydraulic Roller 314 adv. 252 @ 50 612 lift 110 lsa 106 centerline
-40 thou gasket
-10 thou deck hieght
-comp. ratio 9.5/9.8-1

I have talked to my engine builder and he tells me I would only gain about 15-20 horse with a cam change. I have been playing with my dyno2000 program and I'm getting horsepower #'s saying that I'll gain in the 50hp range and the torque goes way up also.
I do know that my builder is super busy and right now so I'm thinking he's just trying to get it out the door as quick as possible.
Am I right in thinking that there's alot I'm leaving on the table if I don't change cams?

Any suggestions on a cam? I would be staying with the hydraulic roller and just reusing my lifters.

Thanks

Deano

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, my motor combo is almost exactly like yours, except I have a 314/328 advertized, [email protected] solid flat tappet cam, and .008"deck height. I ran both 119ccheads(about 9.0:1), and at present 101cc heads(about 10.4:1) and there is almost nothing for useable power below 3800rpm as the dynamic compression is pathetically low. if your heads are 110cc's I think you may need more compression if you want to run more cam, I dont think you have 10.3:1, and when I plug your numbers into the dcr calculator I come up with 9.5 static and 6.5 dynamic compression ratio. you should get that up to at least 8:1 if not a touch higher - maybe 8.2:1, if you want to run pump gas. HIGHER if you run race gas.
I say plug in a slightly shorter cam(my plan) or get some bigger domes.

Get Pat Kelly's DCR calculator, you can find it here on camaros.net somewhere, I just cant remember where????? it will point you in the right direction. maybe someone else will have a link to it.
have fun fellow canadian.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right I don't have 10.3-1 I have around 9.6-1 comp. I forgot to change my signature since I found out my compression was lower than I thought. Any thoughts on cam choices?

Thanks for your reply

Deano

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think you have all the parts to support more power, just missing a bit on compression, same problem as me. I run a stickshift so I notice the soggy bottom end due to low compression when I'm on the street, you may not with your 4000 stall.
my personal plan is to go to a cam with about 280-285* advertized on the intake and that will bring me up to 8:1 ish dynamic compression, and the motor will be alot happier.
If I were in your shoes, I would talk to your engine builder about trying to get your static compression up to about 11:1, or as close as you can get, then adding a couple degres advance to your cam to bring up your dynamic CR to the high 7's.
I think your motor will make more power all around with more compression, your cam is big enough IMHO.
Your other option to get the engine happy, is to put in a smaller cam as I have chosen to do, and you may need to, if you are unable to mill the heads enough to get the compression up the other way, in this case, a cam with around 280-285* advertized, and a LSA as tight as you can get - 108 preferably, in order to keep cranking compression as high as possible.
Dont take my word for it, definately talk to a cam tech guy, the guys from Comp have been very good to me.
BTW what is your cranking compression??
edit: I found the link to the DCR calculator, check it out!: http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.