Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I build a new 396 for my camaro 67 and i wan't to drive it with E85 (and if i can put 93 when i don't have the choice)
I have this parts for the moment :
Big brodix heads, rpm performer intake,comps cam k11-433-8 and all forged short block (12:1 ratio)
I see carburators on holley 0-80844HBX or quick fuel Q-850-E85 and i see on efi systems fast ez efi 2.0, holley sniper .....
my use is for street and a little strip
What do you think is the best choice for me ?
(Sorry for my bad language i'm in France ... ;) Thanks)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
EFI with a flex fuel sensor will allow you to do this. Little more difficult with a carb. If the carb is calibrated for E85 you won't be able to add much regular gas to it before it affects how it runs. My son runs E85 in two of his cars with a flex fuel sensor. The tune gets more aggressive when the ethanol content is higher. I run E85 with EFI in my '69 Camaro and will be adding the flex fuel sensor so I can run gasoline if needed. :beers:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK i will go with a EFI system :)
What is the best kit for e85 (fitech, holey, fast ez ?)
Thanks

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I am not a EFI guy. I have heard Holley and Edelbrock's newest offerings are worth the money. Unless you are a tunner I see no need to pay extra for features (tunning) that you may never use.

Now I am a carburetor guy from the old school. I can tell you two things wrong with E85 (or E15 as far as that goes). Alcohol is corrosive and aluminum or pot metal carb bodies will corrode quickly unless you buy a carb set up for alcohol. An alcohol carb will have an aluminum casting (or billet) that is hard anodized (Holley uses green to signify alcohol). Additionally you have to increase the main get size and the metering blocks as well as the inlet are over sized because alcohol requires a larger volume of fuel to generate the same power level.

This means if you were to use 93 octane gas in an alcohol carb it will run pig rich. Carbs can not easily handle dual fuel unless you buy two carburetors (one for each kind of fuel). Even so two carbs are usually cheaper than converting over to EFI, just not as efficient. So I agree EFI is the way to go with your application.

Big Dave

·
13,851 Posts
Unless you’re planning on hard tracking the car and trying to get the absolute max power possible I see no reason to run E85.

The quality and quantity of Ethonal at the pump varies substantially. My friends who race their cars buy E85 in 55 gal drums.

So here if you tune for 85 and actually only get 90 that is 10% ethonal it can cause detonation and kiss you engine good bye.

Running EFI where automatic fuel adjustment are made by the ECU based on the O2 sensor readings would be a better choice than a carb.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Unless you’re planning on hard tracking the car and trying to get the absolute max power possible I see no reason to run E85.

The quality and quantity of Ethonal at the pump varies substantially. My friends who race their cars buy E85 in 55 gal drums.

So here if you tune for 85 and actually only get 90 that is 10% ethonal it can cause detonation and kiss you engine good bye.

Running EFI where automatic fuel adjustment are made by the ECU based on the O2 sensor readings would be a better choice than a carb.
He should check with other people where he lives about the quality of the fuel at the pump. Where I live in California the ethanol content has been 85%-93%. Before I switched I checked with people that were already running it in my area. They said it was always 85% or better. My results are consistent with what they told me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He should check with other people where he lives about the quality of the fuel at the pump. Where I live in California the ethanol content has been 85%-93%. Before I switched I checked with people that were already running it in my area. They said it was always 85% or better. My results are consistent with what they told me.
Same for me between 80% to 90% all season

1 - 8 of 8 Posts