Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
My Camaro '67 - 327 starts, but dies when key goes back to drive position.
When I feed the distributer (Mallory HEI) directly from the battery, the car keeps running.
I changed the ignition switch, but it didn't help. Although, the first time it was running for 30 seconds.
Anyone has a good idea?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Might be a bad wire leading from the switch's "run" position. Is everything else in the car working that should be working in that position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have some problems with the generator warning light check and the engine temp light check in this position. Everything else works.
The engine harnes, the dsitributer, the voltage regulator, the starter and the ignition switch are all brand new.
The dash harness is the old one.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Depending on how you connected the hei....if you used the stock wiring it sounds like your start and run wires could be reversed at the starter or the run wire is not connected or has broken some place internally. Check the connection and its continuity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure that it is hooked up correctly. It has been working and I didn't change the wiring.
I think I better check the run wire as you suggest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys. Thanks a lot for your advices. I checked the run wire from the ignition switch to the distributor and found a loose connection.
The run wire was soldered to the female disconnect that goes into the distributor. Or at least they tried to solder it. The wire was some iron wire that could not be soldered, so it was a very poor connection. I'm surprised to see that on a brand new harness.
I changed the wire to a copper wire, and now it's running.
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts