Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son asked me about the copyrights to the name Camaro. I have to say that I know nothing about copyrights. Is Team Camaro or any other business required to pay for or atleast get permisson to use it? Please someone in the know give me an answer.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i'm sure if GM wanted to be pricks, they could charge AL for using the name..
but i think only Ford does that with the Mustang name.. didn't a bunch of magazines have to change their names because Ford couldn't stand getting free publicity?

i guess GM tried to get the band Chevelle to change their name, but common sense won out there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
GM charges to use the name CAMARO,, cant say if Al has to pay but i wouldnt think so, being i bet to maintain this site cost him and he makes no profit from it,, but if you use the camaro name in the name of your buisness then GM can charge you for using it. Frank

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Google "Camaro Cleaners", it's a laundry business all over the place here... The car itself is copyright protected but I don't think the name is...

Here's the US Copyright Office web site... http://www.copyright.gov/

From the same site; What Is Not Protected by Copyright?
Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wnp

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well don't say the word WINDOWS or else Microsoft will send you a nice letter!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Ford is very aggressive in defending their trademark/copyrights. A diesel website I frequent had to change it's name to remove 'Ford' from their name...of course every fifth post it seemed was someone ranting and wanting to start-up for a class action lawsuit... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou Guys for all your help. I'm going to tell my son not to use "Camaro", just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Hope this is not the direction that things are going!
Well it is, and in my opinion, makes the companies look like damn idoits... the 'highly educated' pen pushing desk jockeys in those companies trying to justify their high salaries and existance...
They have lost the plot...education now means "common sense is illegal"
Take for example the blurring out of brand names on TV programs...even when there is nothing derogitory...Stupid
Its not far off the day when Coke cola bans the use of Santa Claus, and a news item hast to blur the tags of cars going past in the background

Those lawyer jokes...no longer exist..the joke IS the lawyers.
Good old common sense just is not allowed to exist?
Stupid.
http://www.stupidity.com/us/ustc.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is he doing? (curiosity)
My son has been a manager in body shops for a number of years now and would like to start a side line business. I'm the old goat in love with the 1st gens and he's into the 3rd gens. My wife wants us to have something together and that would have to be around Camaros.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Muscle cars are a great thing to be working with right now, but lots of money to start anything up.

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Use the name that they first had for the camaro, the "panther"! :)

R

·
Registered
970 Posts
I remember at a show seeing a heated discussion between the owner of a Camaro parts business with Camaro in the name and the head Camaro guy from GM about this very thing. Something was said about the parts company selling t shirts with the company name on them. They can stop anyone but usually don't unless they are very big. Remember Classic industries used to be Classic Camaro. It's not just they started selling other types of cars that ended that. If they think you are making very much money off their name they want a piece of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts