Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. First post here.

A friend of mine has an 81 Camaro with a pontiac 400 in it. It was driving fine up until about a week ago. All of a sudden when he puts it into gear it dies. I'm not a car person but I do have access to the internet so I'm asking here.

·
Registered
540 Posts
hello mouseman, welcome. if you don't know what a vacuum leak is you need to do some reading on basic engine repair and how an engine basicly works. not trying to be rude or a smart *** or anything but there is more than enough people hear able and willing to help you out but it's going to be hard for them to help if you don't understand the basics. don't get me wrong there are no dumb questions. i ask a lot of questions myself. there are people on hear that are so high up the ladder all i see is the bottom of there shoes. thats what makes this site so good that they are willing to take the time to help. long story short you need to know what 1+1 = then move on to
f(x) = (x); 1/(x) do yourself a favor and read up on some basic engine repair then ask away on all the questions you want sorry if this sounds like a speech but just trying to help you out and you asked.:beers: start here it will tell you about vacuum.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_vacuum :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
my first guess is the neutral safety switch went bad. need a little more info-does the car run rough? if so possible vacum leak,if starts and runs good i would guess the switch.
Neutral safety switch won't affect anything once the car is running.

If it's been awhile, you might suggest your friend start with a good tuneup. Plugs, points, distributor cap and rotor, filters (fuel and air especially) adjust the timing and the idle fuel mixture and rpm, and go from there.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Not to be a smartass but...He can't get it to a mechanic, it dies when he puts it in gear.

What's it do if you speed it up a little before you put it in gear? Have your foot on the brake, and kind of work the footfeed up and down ( just a little, like a half inch or so) to rev it up/down as you try to put it in gear. This gives the engine little shots of fuel.

If it stays running take it to a mechanic for a tuneup or diagnosis.

Tim

·
Registered
574 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the 81 Camaro had a lock-up torque converter in the transmission. It sounds to me like your torque converter is engaged and won't release. Unfortunatly it can be difficult to fix this with NO knowledge of transmissions! The solenoid in the trans is probably stuck and would take a good technician only a few minuites to repair/disable. Providing there is nothing else wrong with the trans.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would check the EGR valve first, If it is sticking, they will die when you put them in gear every time. My II cents. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts