Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the wife just asked me to put the question out to the group, "Where did GM/Chevy come up with the name Camaro and what does it mean?" Thanks

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The name "Camaro" is french for "freind".
I hope this helps,
Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 81000 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 373 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.

·
Registered
116 Posts
According to Hot Rod magazine the original name for the new ponycar was the "PANTHER". However the Chevrolet general manager at that time didn't like the name so he changed it to "CAMARO" which loosely translates from the french word "COMRADE" or in English which is "Friend".

Hope that answers that.
Tony

------------------
obnoxious 67 camaro under construction. TH350/383 stroker w/ aluminum Edlebroc RPM heads,cam, and carb.This is a "Daily Driver" that need A LOT of work. But has new quarters and new floor pans.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
CAMARO, 1.friend, comrade, pal 2.day-to-day grocery getter, a drag strip bruiser, a canyon carver or a bit of all of the above in one package 3.a device used for taming horses.
Hey choptop, "Camaron" = shrimp without an "e" at the end

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
GM unfortunately didn't do the same intensive and exhausting market research when they named the Nova. After wondering why their new midsize car wasn't selling well in Latin markets they realized Nova means "won't go" in Spanish.
Really.
I'm not making this up.
Orench- es la verdad, no?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Pete, I can see you keep practicing. Won't go = no vá, monosyllables aren't suppose to be accentuated but since this one (vá) ends in a vocal, and has the pronuciation emphasis in "a", we tend to do so.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am a bit weary about "Camaro" being French. Most French words as such don't usually end with an "O", but it sounds more Italian to me. I am French/English bilingual and have never heard the word "Camaro" used in the French language to date. In fact, I have always wondered what the term meant too.

I always thought a Plymouth "Duster" was ill named. Dust and cars do not go together well in my opinion, heh.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Well, in spanish there is Camarada = friend, pal or partner. My 2 cents...

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Breathweapon

Back in the seventies the term "dusted" meant that you won the race, blew his doors off, left him in the dust, etc. So the "Duster" was meant to sound like a winner. I had a 72.

But you do have a good point about the dust.
------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 10-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I remember seeing a interview with a guy from GM, back when they first introducted the Camaro. It was on some television special I was watching once. They did ask him why they chose the name Camaro. All he said was "a Camaro is a small wild animal that likes to eat Mustangs". I'll buy that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I thought that it was a made-up word that they later found was French. Its not in my French-English dictionary however and I have never found it in an online translator either.
They dropped the name Panther because all Chevys at the time started with a "C".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts