Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i try to start it wont turn over. Gas is in car battery is not dead is on charger.
Once worked when i put gas in the carb. Any ideas? Could it be the starter, plugs wire?
im puzzled. was working fine last week. Any ideas would be great.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Re: camaro not starting???

Could it be a bad fuel pump, is it a manual or electric pump. Also check the fuel filter and clean the carb may have some garbage in the jets.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts

What year car and give us some specs?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

sorry... its a 67 camaro with a 350(not orignal) i think its a 80's block.
Rochester Carb.
it was running last week. if i put gas in the carb it starts but thats it.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts

Pull the air cleaner off and with the engine off give it a couple of full pulls on the throttle linkage and while your doing this look inside the carb to see if it is squirting gas.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts

squirting out of the carb or just making noise of squirting?[/quote] Squirting down in the carb is a good thing. Have you tried to start after pumping the throttle a couple times. May be a week battery not enough juice to start or a bad coil, condenser exxx.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts

put a fuel pump and fuel filter on it!! 25.00 fuel pump and 5.00 filter

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

Your original post indicated the motor wont turn over. If this is the case, don't start with fuel issues, start with your battery and your starter. Run jumper cables (not just a battery charger - not enough juice) to the battery and turn the key. If nothing, fiddle with the connections a few times, as I think the battery is most likely your problem. If nothing, rap the side of the starter with a hammer (dont get carried away and break the aluminum starter case) and then try it again. If nothing, repeat step one. If still nothing, with jumpers still attached, use a screwdriver and bridge the contacts on the starter solenoid and see if it engages. If nothing, you likely have a bad solenoid. ...... If step one works, replace the battery, if step two works, replace the starter, if step three works, replace the solenoid and/or starter. ..... If I mis-read your original post and the engine turns over but wont fire, please disregard this post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts