Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
I saw that. It could have sold already. Maybe it was to keep business? I have to think if you go to a web site and see a business is for sale, you might look for an alternate source?

-Dan
Camaro Specialties is still for sale. I spoke with Bob this morning about it. It has been for sale for a couple of years. At one point he thought he had a buyer but it didn't work out.

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
I just made a couple of purchases from his shop. What a great guy. I wish his store was out west here.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Okay here's a thought (or probably more than one). It would be a shame to let a shop like this go away. It would also be a shame for the knowledge that Bob and Craig have to not be used to the betterment of this awesome hobby.

God works in mysterious ways and perhaps he is telling us something here. I am certainly up for a career change and maybe this is the opportunity. Is there anyone else interested in looking at this opportunity to see if we could make it work?

Am I nuts or what?

Mark

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Okay here's a thought (or probably more than one). It would be a shame to let a shop like this go away. It would also be a shame for the knowledge that Bob and Craig have to not be used to the betterment of this awesome hobby.

God works in mysterious ways and perhaps he is telling us something here. I am certainly up for a career change and maybe this is the opportunity. Is there anyone else interested in looking at this opportunity to see if we could make it work?

Am I nuts or what?

Mark
No, you are not nuts. I have wondered the same. But there are A LOT of Camaro parts dealers out there now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would be hard with the number of parts suppliers now. Plus, I would be taking all the good stuff for my cars:) With the Internet you don't even need a very large building/overhead. I think Camaro Specialties has maybe 1 or 2 acres which is almost all old buildings stuffed with old parts. It's more than you need if you just want to sell parts. I wonder if he has any sort of inventory records to determine what the worth might be? It would be hard to commit to spending money without knowing. Not to mention that the town he is in isn't known for low taxes nor is New York State:(

I think to make money just selling replacement parts, you would have to do a considerable volume. If you don't do the volume, then you need to find a niche, which I think is what Camaro Specialities has/had with thier ability to offer original and hard to find parts. Things are changing as seen by them having Mopars and other makes in thier inventory.

Not to mention, that running your own business can be a real PITA.

-Dan

·
Registered
694 Posts
No, you are not nuts. I have wondered the same. But there are A LOT of Camaro parts dealers out there now.
Craig:

Yes there are. So? And I mean this in the best way. Competition is not the reason to not go into a business. There are probably a thousand other reasons (or excuses) we could come up with NOT to do this. I also think a turtle never got anywhere until he stuck his neck out.

Camaro Specialties has been in existence for 25 years and they are known in the industry. They have incredible contacts too. Match that knowledge and those contacts with a good business practices and ethics and it seems like a formula for continuing and perhaps even greater success.

I've been broke before, and I have had a lot of money too. Neither one made me any happier than the other.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Craig:

Yes there are. So? And I mean this in the best way. Competition is not the reason to not go into a business. There are probably a thousand other reasons (or excuses) we could come up with NOT to do this. I also think a turtle never got anywhere until he stuck his neck out.

Camaro Specialties has been in existence for 25 years and they are known in the industry. They have incredible contacts too. Match that knowledge and those contacts with a good business practices and ethics and it seems like a formula for continuing and perhaps even greater success.

I've been broke before, and I have had a lot of money too. Neither one made me any happier than the other.
Point well made. I make a good living now but have always said that i am not really passionate about what i do. Over the past few years i have thought to myself and outloud to certain others that i would love to start my own business doing something i am passionate about. That aspect of it is very appealing for sure.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It would be hard with the number of parts suppliers now. Plus, I would be taking all the good stuff for my cars:) With the Internet you don't even need a very large building/overhead. I think Camaro Specialties has maybe 1 or 2 acres which is almost all old buildings stuffed with old parts. It's more than you need if you just want to sell parts. I wonder if he has any sort of inventory records to determine what the worth might be? It would be hard to commit to spending money without knowing. Not to mention that the town he is in isn't known for low taxes nor is New York State:(

I think to make money just selling replacement parts, you would have to do a considerable volume. If you don't do the volume, then you need to find a niche, which I think is what Camaro Specialities has/had with thier ability to offer original and hard to find parts. Things are changing as seen by them having Mopars and other makes in thier inventory.

Not to mention, that running your own business can be a real PITA.

-Dan
According to Bob they did an inventory awhile back and got about 80% of it. If you ever go there it is amazing to watch Bob as he knows where everything is. They actually do have some sort of system and some sort of order to the chaos that comes from having so many parts from so many cars.

I am pretty their parts business is what generates the most profit. They do restoration work both minor stuff and full ground up or frame off. They also buy and sell cars as, let's face it, that's the business they are in. That he has a Mopar there speaks more to the business decision that he could buy low enough to sell for a profit. After all we are still capitalists (at least until the next election).

Yes, running your own business can be a PITA, so can my boss, and even though he is generally an okay guy, I don't like him near as much as I like my classic cars, or yours , or nearly anyone elses. Given the choice between spending each day working with my boss or working with classic cars, right now that is an easy decision. The question of course is can one make a decent living doing it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts