Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Car, but the darn thing has the most trouble starting. I need some suggestions. It is an 85 IROC, originally a HO 305 with the Computer controlled CArb. The guy I bought it from removed the 305 for a 355 and put a comp Cam shaft, also removed the computer and carb for an "old school" Quadrajet. Now, the car starts like a complete pig. I have to move the distributor to like 50degrees above TDC it seems to get the thing to start. I have put a Mallory HiFire Ignition on it, hoping to fix the problem, but alas, it has really done nothing. Does anyone, or has anyone ever had a Camaro, changed the system like this, and fixed this problem? Some help would be great otherwise I might just sell the car, and I don't want to be one of "those guys" . Help, thank you

Chris

[email protected]

·
Registered
366 Posts
First off when the engine was swapped was the 305 balancer reused? The timing mark on a 305 balancer is different from a 350 balancer. May be why you have to move the distributor to get it started. After you get that solved make sure the acc. pump and choke are working properly on the Q-jet. 2 pumps of the gas pedal should deliver 2 good shots of fuel and close the choke completely , upon firing the choke should open part way and throttle linkage should rest on the fast idle cam. Good luck.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd 4.10 posi x66 coupe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the balancer was new, and the Carb and Choke are brand new. And when the gas is pumped it does close the choke. I really appreciate your help, but for some reason it just doesn't start, Especially cold, but...I put a totally different Distributor in the car all together one day, and nothing changed. If I retard the timing even a little, the car will not start almost at all. We would retard and then advance..and it would start once the timing was nearly advanced as far as it would let me? Strange, but I really appreciate the information, just knowing that someone might be looking at this is a really really cool thing, thank you Chris

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you advance it 50 degrees and it starts does it stay running fine there. why you putting it back again leave dist there does it run fine than or not.if it dont ping or sonds like bad starter timing is good there than. if not than guy who put timing chain on didnt do it right or he got a degreed timing chain put on reg timing gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts