Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 67 camaro convertible wreck (it needs complete restoration). I was at a friends house showing it to him (it's on a trailer).and this guy drives up and wants to know if I'd be interested in buying two 69 firebirds, both convertibles and one is supposed to be high performance model. It sounded like they both would need restoring. I know nothing about Firechickens except that their not as good as a camaro
. My question is are they as popular as camaros and what is the difference between them?
What would two be worth in complete but rough shape. I know its a wide open question but just wanted to see if I'm on to something or not.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Yes, F_Jackie would buy them and install the Firebird shakers so he wouldn't have to change the oil in his Camaro's shakers....

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Firebirds are pretty cool, but they just aren't very popular. Any convertible musclecar should be worth a decent amount.....but I wouldn't put much money into restoring a firebird whether it's a convertible or a coupe. If you really like firebirds restore one, but just be careful as they don't seem to bring very much money when done. There have been a few firebird ragtops for sale around town and for the most part they could be bought for around 10k and they are in very nice condition.

I have often considered buying a firebird ragtop, but I just can't justify it when I already have two camaro convertibles!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have often considered buying a firebird ragtop, but I just can't justify it when I already have two camaro convertibles! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Why would you want one anyway, there unpopular and they dont bring much money when it's time to sell. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I would want one because I think that they are very cool!! It's just that they are harder to sell than a camaro.

Please don't be offended or think that I am putting down firebirds, because I am not! I really like them. As a matter of fact I think that they all came from the factory with higher quality parts than their camaro equivilents.

It's just that it costs just as much to restore a firebird as it does a camaro and in the end I don't think that I could sell the firebird for as much. It's not that restoring these old cars is all about the money, but it is a sizeable investment to restore a car and I think that we all try to protect our investment as best we can!

I see plenty of firebird 400's around for cheap and I am often tempted to buy one! As a matter of fact I bought a 68 firebird 400 coupe last year that still had the #'s matching 400/turbo 400. It was maroon with white interior....I even sent off to PHS to verify that it was all original. That car only cost me $1200! It would be difficult to find an all numbers matching 68 396 camaro for $1200!

Again, I am not putting down firebirds by any means!! I really like them!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cool, but hey next time you find one of these original #'s matching 400 cars for 1200 in execellent cond. and you dont buy it pas it on Please. I dont know if you've looked lately but 1200 from what I've been seeing is pretty much a chopped up parts car. Sounds like I'm living in the wrong place!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
From what you all are saying, dollar for dollar, it seems to me if you want a cool car to restore, go for the Camaro. But if you want an equally fine ride to customize, do the Firebird. You could get radical with the 'bird and not have to worry about making a change that might negitively affect the value. And its basically the same car! As I recall, wasn't the Firebird supposed to be the "upscale" version of the Camaro anyway? Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The only problem with the firebird that I bought is that it had a sunroof put in!! I traded it for engine/body work on my 67 camaro. I'm sure it's still there. It is in New Mexico.

I just saw one come up last week here in town that was a 69 400/4 speed with the cool ram air hood, etc, etc. The asking price was $2500.....I thought hard about that one!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally havnt seen a big price differance between the 2, Local or out of state. A lot depends on hard top, conv, and the big one is options. Any Classic car with a lot of factory options go's for a heftier price. Paulm, It maybe that in your area there's just an abundance of these cars, if that's the case whether it be firebird or Camaro your a lucky man. ;)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I wonder if the firebird is just slightly lagging behind the camaro. In the mid 90's camaros were pretty cheap, maybe the firebird will start catching up in price. They are very cool cars!!! In five years maybe the firebirds with be worth a bunch and I'll be kicking myself for not buying all of the ones that I've come across!! They do get rarer and rarer every year.

Either way I would like to build a firebird....I just have too many projects!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The 69 Firebird convertibles are the least desireable of the first gen. 'Birds. Totally opposite from Camaros. I never liked the 69 'Bird but if the price is right, I wouldn't pass them up.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Buy the bird, Replace the fenders and you have an instant Camaro clone!

I'm with Paul, better parts on a 'bird.

P.S. - a chevy engine is just a couple of frame mounts and a crossmember away. What's to stop you? Seems like a no-brainer to me :cool:

-Mark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts