Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering changing my Ultradyne cam. The original 327 350HP cam of the 60's had a 4* retard built into it. Would I benefit by retarding or advancing the cam I have or replace it ?? Thanks, Tom

Ultradyne Street Cam
270/270 duration at seat index.
111 lobe seperation
.460"/.460" gross valve lift
219/219 duration at .050"

327 CI bored .040 over
TRW flat top pistons
"461" Camel Back Heads w/ 1.94/1.50 valves
Edelbrock performer RPM intake
Edelbrock 600 CFM carb
Hooker Headers
2 1/4" Dual Stainless exhaust

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It really depends on what you want and what you expect out of your engine. Are you pretty happy with what you have now, or want more low end torque, or more hi end power, or something in between?

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Super Moderator
33,273 Posts
An old engine buider's trick is to insatall cam where you want it. Install cylinder head w/gasket, and valve train on one cylinder, use two solid lifters, adjust lash according to cam manf specs.

Bolt on starter and battery, screw in compression tester.

Crank engine over, take reading. Keep advancing/retarding cam to find highest compression reading. Now you've found the sweet spot for max power.

Advancing a cam brings out some more torque, retarding a cam makes HP, drops torque alittle.

As Travis asks, what do you want? I'd go for torque, check your seat-of-your-pants meter!!

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just not real impressed with the performance of this cam. I've thought about changing to 1.6 rockers to increase the lift. Would this help ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is a funny way to do it but Im nut sure if it is right because for every 2 degress you advance the cam you get 5 more crank compression PSI so if you advence it 10 degrees up will have 25 more PSI and if you go the other way you will loss 5 PSI so if you take out 10 you will have 25 PSI less, and I know if you advence some cams to much it will hurt them even if the PSI is higher.
I would just have that came Straight Up, Chevy put some of there cams advance 4 degree because they were made like that, if you have the cam card for you cam it will tell you what to put on.

JonniD

------------------
1994 S10 Pick-up 4.3
1991 Corvette L98 Auto
1968 Camaro 350ci Auto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.