Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a question about which cam is good for an engine, this is for someone else, but im not too familiar with what he wants to do, so i figured i would ask you guys

its a 305 from an 86 gmc truck, and he wants to put vortec heads on the engine with a vortec intake, and headers, but other than that the engine will be left stock.

the cam is a hydraulic flat tappet, so what would you guys suggest? I believe it will be a street cruiser, and doesnt need a nasty cam in it.

i cant really give him a suggestion because im not familiar with the vortec heads and their lift limits, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

edit* i believe he is also getting the heads milled down to maintain stock, or close to stock compression

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check out the Isky 256 Super cam or a Comp 252 which are pretty mild cams but provide good low and mid range for a 305. Around 206 duration at .050 with .420 lift so stock valve train works.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the Isky 256 Super cam or a Comp 252 which are pretty mild cams but provide good low and mid range for a 305. Around 206 duration at .050 with .420 lift so stock valve train works.
thanks, i wasnt sure what the stock valvetrain could handle, so i recommended this cam:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-234-2/

i assume this one will not work unless the valvetrain is replaced?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts