Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am having issues with the clutch of my 69 396ci camaro...
a couple of weeks ago I borrowed my car to a friend who abused of the clutch. The clutch had slipped in such a way that the car didn't have a clutch when he returned my car.
I removed the M21 and the clutch housing, the flywheel had a blue mark all arround where the disk had slipped including some fine cracks.

I purchased a new clutch kit, took the flywheel to the workshop and they rectified it erasing the blue marks and cracks. I installed the new clutch kit, adjusted the pedal and tried out the car. After a couple of starts the shifting started to get difficult and I noticed the clutch was slipping again.

I drove the car back to my garage and the clutch smell could be noticed. I want to have my car back to the original condition, my question now is...
Can the flywheel loose grip? what flywheel and clutch kit would you guys recommend me to buy now?
thanks for your input!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I changed the clutch disk, pressure plate and bearing. The pedal adjustment was intermediate, by half way out the pressure plate didn't have any pressure applied.
when changing the clutch kit the ony part I couldn't exchange was the pilot bushing. I saw it and it looked in good condition so I only placed the antisizing grease and installed everything back.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If the flywheel had cracks, and the shop machined the cracks away, I would be very concerned about too much material being machined away.

I would not drive it as is, but replace the flywheel with a new, quality piece.

I would replace the pilot bushing while in there, it is just good practice.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
How much play do you have in the top of the clutch pedal, should have about 1-2". Sounds like the adjustment has no play and your clutch may be engaged without applying the pressure to the pedal.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
One other thought, you could have installed a 10.5" clutch disk with a pressure plate made for an 11". I did that once and it slipped under load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts