Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When an engine is decked during a rebuild, can it be decked without destroying the partial VIN number and other important codes?

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I've heard of other members on here having their blocks decked without the machine shop removing the numbers on the pad. You'll probably have to shop around to find a shop that is willing to go through the extra trouble for you, and get it in writing that they agree to not remove the stamps. Also, you can't remind them enough times either once they agree to do it.

Take as many pictures as you can of the block just in case as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
chedderboy said:
When an engine is decked during a rebuild, can it be decked without destroying the partial VIN number and other important codes?
With all the resto-units we do for a local shop here on Long Island we have to leave the original numbers intact. It requires the final area around the numbers to machined by hand and on a "Bridgeport". The job works out excellent, since many of our builds have easily passed all the "Bloomigton" shows. It's extra work but it's well worth the time. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
P.S. We can mill any amount of material from the decks, e.g. .010", .020",
.030", etc. and never touch the stamped original numbers. It's a fairly expensive and time-consuming procedure (including the deck-milling itself), but I haven't had one customer complain about the cost.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
An extra hundred or so is nothing compared to throwing the originality of the entire car into question and possibly costing thousands on the total car value. I don't see why any real hobbyist would complain about that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts