Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just painted the mustang. it was a practice car for the camaro :) anyway it has some serious orange peel and a couple clear runs. I need to cut it to smooth it all out.
thanks
chris

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, since noone else has chimed in, I will try to help...depending on how bad the peel is, Id start by wetsanding with somethin around 1200-1500, then work your way through finer paper. You might try a small area to make sure thats not too abrasive though. I usually finish with 2500 or even 3000 paper cuz I prefer to use the buffer as little as possible. After that, I use 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound on a foam pad. But the longer you let the clear cure, the harder its gonna be to smoothe out. I usually wetsand the day after laying the clear. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats it in a nutshell Chris. However if you have serious peel and a run, you may want to take JUST THE TOP off the peel and the run with 800 or maybe even 600 grit. But JUST the top. You will be sanding into next year if you try to polish off the rough stuff with 1200 or 1500, but if you go to far with the 600-800 you will have a tuff time getting the sanding scratches out without going through the clear. Use good paper and a soft sanding block. Do small areas at a time. Use a squeege or the edge of your block often to wipe away the water and check your progress. After a little while you'll get the hang of it and will be able to 'see' just whats done and what needs more work. If the water run off or your paper has any color except the white form the clear it means you went through to the paint...avoid that at all costs since you'll have to re-clear the whole panel and start over. Move up to 1000, 1200, 1500, or even 2000 grit paper to further polish it. Then get a buffer with a foam pad and some medium to light cut liquid polishing compound depending on how far you went with your sanding. Polish at a slow speed and stay away from all corners and edges. Paint is very thin there and you'll polish it right away. Some even tape them off just to be sure. This is also an aquired skill. Just start slow and you'll get it. When you have a beautifull shine with that get some very light polishing compound like 3M's perfectit and finish with that. You should be more then pleased. Don't wax it as it won't be fully cured for quite a while ...oh ya....buy some "icy hot" or something similar for the sore shoulder muscles...:beers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts