Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
If I dont get mine coated by Sunday, I will bring it along and leave it with you to be done. Pick it up around 8pm on the way home, sound good? :D
j/k

·
Registered
955 Posts
I clear coated my new tank before I installed it. I use a satin finish clear coat. A new galvanized tank will look new for years if you are not going to expose it to the elements constantly. If this is a daily driver, I would clear coat it. The 69 is a show car / sunny weekend cruiser. I just did it to make the finish stay fresh for a few more years. The choice is up to you. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I thought POR has a clear coat that works well, any truth to this??

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Jonesy thats what I heard too, so Wed. when I am in MPls for business, Im stopping at the POR dealer and see what they have. I will report back here Wed. night.

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Got back around 8pm YEP POR has a clear coat in the POR 15 formulation. Like Black,Gray, white it is the POR paint, not exactly a clear coat but a clear paint that has the toughness of POR for reflecting rocks and sand but give the clear finish. I bought a quart for my gas tank. $30. They do have a 2 part clear called Glisten PC for aluminum wheels, chrome bumpers etc. Its $42 a quart. He recommended the POR15 Clear for a gas tank.
Heading to the shop now.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Click

Let me know how it turns out. I am looking at doing the same thing to my tank.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I'm going to be removing my 68's tank when I swap springs & rearend. I'm going to have it boiled out by a radiator shop. Can I then have it painted with POR or will I need other prep? I don't do any kind of painting myself unless it's with a brush.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Be careful which you use. The Glisten PC, which I used, is non-yellowing. The other isn't. The part of the tank you can see could conceivable yellow (?).

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Rick is probably right, the POR clear paint is subject to UV fading as is the regular POR paint. But being under the car the dealer thought it should not be a problem, but if it did yellow I can see redoing it again some winter as a project, just ScotchBrite it and repaint.
The tanks are so easy to pull Winch, unless your's is original and you want to be fussy, a new tank is only $119 and no need to flush out then. The POR requires using their metal ready etching treatment prior to painting with POR. I dont have a compressor so I just use the sponge brushes. Goes on very nicely.
I finished my straps last night, they look great in POR black.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Click

The Duluth Car show has been canceled. I called the DECC ticket office and they confirmed it. Hemmings must not update their site. I still want to hear about your results with POR clear. Do you have to scuff your tank before applying it??

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Thanks Jonesy for the info. bummer the show is cancelled. But that gives me another day to work on my camaro. :D

I didnt scuff my new tank, just used the POR marine clean, them POR Metal Ready, then POR clear paint. I finished the 2nd coat on the bottom of the tank last night. It looks AWESOME to me anyway. Now today Im doing the top and neck so that it will be dry for this weekend so I can install it.
Im taking pics as I go along. Here is a link to see them. #2497 in the list is the best pic after just one coat.
http://www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS/GasTank/

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
You said you went to a local dealer?? Who? Tank looks great. How much for all that to get the tank done??

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
I added 3 more photos in that link now of the tank all done and drying.
I was in Mpls and got the POR stuff from Welle Bros. Auto parts on Hy 65 south of 694. I bought bulk gallon of metal ready and marine clean and a quart of the POR Clear. The Clear was $30 a quart, the Marine clean was $17 and the Metal Ready was $28.
I will also use this clear system for the back of my rear bumper where its starting to pit a little. As well as other parts like shifter parts that are under the counsel.
As for amounts of Clear, I used about 5 oz for each coat. It spreads nicely with a foam type brush. I kept looking at angles to the overhead lights to see spots I might have missed. I found several that way and ended up with a nice product I think. This is my first clear job ever. Even with garage doors open it left me a little woozy so definately have fresh air and maybe fans.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Thanks Click!! I am going to the Cities on Monday. I check that place out. Gotta go to the Wild game also.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
For applications on chrome, you need to use their AP120, for aluminum too. I too have found the 'overhead light trick' to work well. I also use a box fan to blow past me towards the outside. In the winter I wear a respirator but I've read their not effective on the 'cynos' and you should have a full fresh-air suit.

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
I should have mentioned that Im doing the 'backside' hidden part of the bumper, not the chrome 'visible' part.
That part appears rough and some minor rusting is started but not very far along. Im guessing one coat to seal it up will do, since my Camaro is in the garage all the time unless Im in it. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.