Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can install the Classic Industries tach filter directly at the tach/batt plug on the distributor? I am thinking ground to engine or firewall, power to pink (AAW) wire and signal wire to white tach wire. Or would it be easier to put filter at the back of dash cluster on signal wire/ switched power and dash ground? Since I am anal about not having unnecessary wires running everywhere, can I use that same switched 12V pink wire to supply the 12V choke power? This filter thing has me bugged and not sure if this is correct.

·
Registered
292 Posts
EDIT: Sorry for the misleading info. Trying to go off old memory. Here is corrected info. I attached the Info from Camaro Central for the filter I bought from them.

I would think you could mount it there, but what about heat and vibration on electronics.

I am going to mount mine under the dash. I have the tool needed to remove tach wire from cluster connector .I will then add pin to filter output RED wire for tach and insert it into connector. Then add a small connector on original tach wire to connect it to filter signal Yellow input wire. Black ground wire connect to dash ground.

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That about sums it up, I just needed a confirmation. Since I have the dash open, thats where Ill find a spot for it.

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Why are you connecting it to switched power? Connections should be coil, tach and ground. Maybe post up the instructions and wiring diagram you are using. Here is the one I found

The filter is inserted in series with the tach signal between the distributor and tach. It does not require a power connection.

I think you are going to blow a fuse or worse connecting it the way you are describing.

Don

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see what you’re saying. I thought the pink wire was the one to use. With GM hei where do I find the neg coil side? Would that be the one under the cap on the opposite plug with the batt/tach wires? Is that the only place where there is a neg connection? If so than it seems I totally misinterpreted the hook up instructions. I have that same schematic you posted. Thanks for catching this.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The yellow wire is the coil negative on a GM "coil in cap" HEI. You should be able to tap the pigtail connector in some manner. See lower left arrow. View attachment 278914
Thank you for the pic. Forgive me for another dumb question, but this circuit has me confused. Is it safe to say I can hook the 3 wires up to the connections on the left side of this pic? Black to ground, yellow to C- and red to the vehicle tach plug?
I cant thank you guys enough for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Thank you for the pic. Forgive me for another dumb question, but this circuit has me confused. Is it safe to say I can hook the 3 wires up to the connections on the left side of this pic? Black to ground, yellow to C- and red to the vehicle tach plug?
I cant thank you guys enough for the help.
I don’t think you have this right. Take the wire from the distributor to your tach, cut it, and splice the filter into that line per the instructions. It is in series with the tach signal. No need to mess with anything but that single tach wire. Red to the tach signal coming from the distributor, yellow to the tach, and black to ground.

Don

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
By George I think I finally got it. The word 'series' explains it. 👏

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
130 Posts
I don’t think you have this right. Take the wire from the distributor to your tach, cut it, and splice the filter into that line per the instructions. It is in series with the tach signal. No need to mess with anything but that single tach wire. Red to the tach signal coming from the distributor, yellow to the tach, and black to ground.

Don
Don, your directions are pretty simple. Why do they provide a schematic which involves the coil?

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Don, your directions are pretty simple. Why do they provide a schematic which involves the coil?
A lot of tach signals come off the minus side of the coil. The tach is measuring the frequency of the signal that appears on the minus side of the coil.

Don

Reactions: allanjs
1 - 11 of 11 Posts