Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking my 68 250 6 cyl could use a valve job. I've heard that you can put a head off a 194 on it and because it has a smaller chamber (but same size valves) it will increase compression. Assuming there are no bolt on problems can I do this? What kind of increase can I expect. Are there any other concerns I'm not thinkg about?

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question: anyway to tell if an engine is a 194 without taking the head off?I thought my bone-yard buddies would know but they don't. Can I tell from casting numbers? Where would they be on a 6 banger?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Winch

There's also the 230 6cyl. to take into consideration... Sorry I can't help out with the question though.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 230 was about identical to the 250 head. Only the 194 had the kidney shaped combustion chamber. Thanks

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It will bolt on but I don't know if you want that much of a compression increase. If I remember corectly the valves are the same size but the ports are smaller.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I might have a problem with blow-by, especially if I don't rebuild the short block? I remember hearing about guys racing with this combination years ago. I wonder if there's anywhere to get the specs on the ports.
I'm sure it will bolt onto the 250, I was thinking about water pump, power steering pump brackets etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
oger

There's also a 6 cyl. Mustang site if any of your buddies (or you
) are into Ford sixes. It also has a question answer forum at the bottom of the page. It makes for interesting reading if nothing else.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks MBREKKE for the tip on the in-line 6 site. It looks like it can be done but the valves aren't the same size and they say it doesn't breath as well. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a head ready to go when I pull the one off the 250, but what's a few days. I'll probably wait until winter anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Have you checked with Clifford Performance? It's been a while since I've dealt with them. They offer a lot of performance stuff for 6's including multi carb setups. In the early 70's I saw a competative camaro with a wrked over 6 beating V-8's. Sounded awesome.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Glad to help guys. I've had/have a couple of sixes and you're right, there's not a whole lot of information floating around out there. Everyone seems to blow them off, even though they run forever. You don't need a V8 unless you plan on tearing up the road. If it's just a car for cruising, a 6 cyl. is the way to go. Especially with gas at $2.00 a gallon.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts