Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a MSD box P/N 6425 with my 383 stroker for my 1967 Camaro. The motor was actually tuned with the BOX by the engine builder. I have it installed and the car is running but I don't have my original tach wired up anymore.

It appears that the tach out signal from the box is digital, which wont work with the old analog tach. Anyone ever wire one of these up to their original tach using a converter? I would like to avoid installing a second external tach.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I could never get mine to work correctly. I tried the MSD adapter... didnt help.
I finally had my tach rebuilt with the internals of a new tach. Looks original.... and works perfectly with the MSD box.

(if you decide to try an adapter, msg me.. you can try mine... as its basically new..)

·
Banned
753 Posts
Ditto the having new guts put in the old tach. Tried and tried to get tach to work with MSD HEI, no dice. Fried it. MSD sent "filters", no dice. Somebody on here posted plans for a filter that he says does the trick. Maybe you can find it with a search. For $200, Redline Gauge will put a stewart warner tach inside your old case and use the old face and needle. Modern electronics but it costs some dough.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Worked with my stock tach. Didn't need the adapter.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok....so looks lik I am going to get new internals in my old tachometer. Thanks guys.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Some boxes have the both digital and analog outputs - I'm not familiar with 6A box so take a look at the outputs and manual. If you go the filter route you may have to try a few filters or make one following the direction over at firstgens.com before you get it working. My experience is that even with the right filter the original tachometers are marginal at best in the performance ratings and accuracy is sketchy at times depending on type of box and filter combination.

Any decent gauge shop can rebuild with digital circuit board. Redline gauge in California or Year One are great shops.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When they rebuild it, will it still use the brown wire? Do I just conenct the brown wire to the grey one from the box?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To all,

I called Redline Gauges out of California about my tachometer problem. They sell the replica tachometer with all updated electronics for $260 door to door.

The tachometer hooks up exactly like the original. I just tied the tachometer brown wire to the MSD box grey wire and it works perfect.

Thanks for the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts