Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using fel pro 1094 gaskets, Went put my heads on last night and was torquing them and got a stripped thread, I was up to 40lbs when it stripped, I am heli coiling it today. Can the head gasket be used since it was not fully torqued down. I was going to try to get another but it will be 2 days til its in. Maybe someone can reccomend an alternate gasket set that might be in stock. Motor is standard decked, flat tops, 64cc heads. Thanks

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Re: can I use this head gasket

I would use it. As you said, you weren't torqued down far. Surprising that you pulled the theads at that torque too. I always paint my head gaskets with aluminum paint, even though the gasket makers say they don't need it. 40+ years and I have never lost a head gasket.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

would it be benefical to use some copper spray on gasket on them.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts

Felpro 1094 gasket is .015 thick, thats not a lot to help ensure sealing block /head unless they have been milled smooth.

Unless I was in a hurry or in a bind, I would just order two more, keep one for spare. I would not risk having to get motor all together and then find water in my oil.

Silver paint or copper coat is a good sealer. Just my 2¢

Longer head bolts or studs will help you with these old threads, especially in the water jacket areas. Be sure to apply some type of thead sealer to those bolts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Im going to order studs and a new set of gaskets. I dont think my head bolts are going in enough with my dart heads. I dont want to have to deal with problems with the motor in the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts