Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story shot: this is my first classic muscle. bought it from a shop in Long Island who I later found out have no clue about classics lol.. just buy n sell mentality. Anyways, it was restored by the original owner who later sold it to them.

The car was listed as an SS. It also had a 5.7 350ci, 4 speed. I don't know why my gut just tells me it might be an RS.

I mean, i later on, I found a black Tshirt in the trunk that said Camaro RS Restomod lol.

I know 68 SS din't have the small backup light under the taillights, mine does, but the previous owner could have used an ss bumper maybe... ?

VIN# 124378N4880983

Anyone knows?? Thank you

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Very nice look. More than likely it was originally an RS. The back-up lights in the lower valance, if original, say it is.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Beautiful Camaro. An SS could have had the reverse lights like that if it was also an RS. One has nothing to do with the other. You could remove one of the reverse lights and see if it's a stamped opening or someone cut it out. It's so far from original and stock I'm not sure it matters what it once was. I'd just enjoy it. If it was mine I'd definitely install the RS grill, headlight doors, etc and complete the RS look. I think that would look killer.

I see some of the pictures were taken at Hollywood Motors. Is that where you bought it? The Car Fellas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beautiful Camaro. An SS could have had the reverse lights like that if it was also an RS. One has nothing to do with the other. You could remove one of the reverse lights and see if it's a stamped opening or someone cut it out. It's so far from original and stock I'm not sure it matters what it once was. I'd just enjoy it. If it was mine I'd definitely install the RS grill, headlight doors, etc and complete the RS look. I think that would look killer.

I see some of the pictures were taken at Hollywood Motors. Is that where you bought it? The Car Fellas?

Thanks guys, and yeah doesnt really matter since im already doing a build but was just curious.

Yeah got it from Hollywood Motors back in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those guys were hysterical.. I wish that show was still on.

Haha i think i saw something on YouTube

·
Retired
26,659 Posts
Look at your firewall from under the hood. Just to the right of the master cyl there will be about a 1" hole for the vacuum hoses for the RS headlight doors. It could have a 2 hole grommet in the hole. Also look at your headlight switch, if RS there are fittings for vacuum hoses on the back of the switch. It's not very often an RS car gets downgraded to standard headlight. When it is done it's usually a money saving issue so the hole/grommet and headlight switch are typically left in place.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
227 Posts
Like was mentioned above, about not normal to go from as RS front end to a standard front end... My assumption would be it's a standard coupe and the previous owner put the RS lower valance for the reverse lights on, so they could have the solid rear taillights.

Cool look.

Reactions: John Doyle

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The VIN only indicates V8 engine and Camaro coupe. Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding You have one too many numbers in the serial # (last 6), btw

The RS question has been covered here pretty well, what about SS ?

Have you checked the drivetrain codes too see if any of it is original ? 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding

I haven’t checked yet. Replacing parts with the build so ill check. What am i looking for ?

Thank you

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,630 Posts
The details are in the link, but if original SS, the trans would be a Muncie (aluminum case) and the rearend would be a 12 bolt with multi-leaf springs. You'll have to look at the codes to determine if they're original. On the engine, you'll have to check the "pad" on the passenger side in front of the cylinder head for the stamped codes. SS350 would have an MU or MS suffix code stamped on the pad. Also, will be a partial VIN stamped that would match the car VIN if original.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Also look for reinforcement plate welded to the frame behind the driver's side rear wheel at about the 1 o'clock area. Its for dual exhaust hanger that would be required for an SS, or any engine where dual exhaust was ordered from factory.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Does that rear spoiler look a little weird or is it just the angle?

·
14,092 Posts
As it is a resto does it really matter what it once was?

Reactions: foreverlookin

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,630 Posts
Also look for reinforcement plate welded to the frame behind the driver's side rear wheel at about the 1 o'clock area. Its for dual exhaust hanger that would be required for an SS, or any engine where dual exhaust was ordered from factory.
That's a 69 thing.:) 68 just used rivnuts. Dual exhaust was standard equipment on SS and Z/28. Optional on all other V8's.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
OOps Garfield, you are correct, I let my eyes go away from the model year for just a split second and presto I gave wrong info. :) :beers:

·
Retired
26,659 Posts
As it is a resto does it really matter what it once was?
As John said above as if you don’t have original documentation it doesn’t matter...do what you like to the car and enjoy it.
A couple of kill joys!! lol... j/k but you should realize there is fun in the discovery no matter what the car was. Part of the learning process too and education is gold in this hobby >:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts