Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Same Issue with my IROC. One lug out of twenty, electric impact, 2ft 1/2" breaker, have not used pipe extension yet, two different tire shops with air impacts and nada. Likely will get a pipe and just snap it. Easy to replace stud. NTB that originally put it on closed and moved somewhere. PITA.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Good thing about Discount Tire, they do final tightening with a torque wrench, not to over tighten.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Largo cold chisel, 32oz ballpein and a couple of whacks. They fall right off.

No sense in twisting the studs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I had this same issue I used a lug wrench with a persuader pipe and just busted the studs. Put new studs in and new lug nuts with a smudge of anti-sieze on each stud and you are back to how the factory originally delivered the vehicle.

·
Registered
Now a tribute-1968(L30/M20) Z-28 Black stripes/white, 350, M22,12bolt. WIP since 8/1979
147 Posts
Seems to me my '55 Plymouth had lefts and rights. Might have been bolts, not nuts. Memory from 1961, could be suspect. I alway use a long pipe for the stubborn ones, have never popped the stud.

Reactions: 3forme

·
Registered
9 Posts
All American cars I have seen loosen CCW and Tighten CW. What you need is a big half inch thick Heavy Duty breaker bar and a hunk of Persuader pipe to extend the leverage they will come off or break off . If you heat it you will ruin the wheel paint etc etc . WD-40 is useless there and if they are that tight PB Blaster will be of no help. Hope this helps .When you bolt it back up put some white lithium grease on the threads of the lug nuts with an acid brush. Alex
Never grease your lug nuts:

"Ensure the stud or bolt threads are clean and dry with no oil, grease or any other kind of lubrication applied to the wheel's hardware. "

·
Registered
308 Posts
Same Issue with my IROC. One lug out of twenty, electric impact, 2ft 1/2" breaker, have not used pipe extension yet, two different tire shops with air impacts and nada. Likely will get a pipe and just snap it. Easy to replace stud. NTB that originally put it on closed and moved somewhere. PITA.
When you can’t get that last nut off reinstall a lug nut on either side of the stuck one to take the pressure off it, works every time!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Very carefully
In response to Dano I made a mistake you don't grease the lug nuts its the wheel studs that you grease ever so lightly with an acid brush and white lithium grease the best one is CRC or genuine Delco its yellowish in color. I have been greasing them for fifty years no problem. you have to tighten them all by hand till snug no wobble and then the air gun in a star patern then zap them twice they wont loosen but you need a good gun with torque. Thanks for the correction . Alex

·
20,996 Posts
How do you get lug nuts of with an impact screwdriver?
It also has a square drive for a socket...it shocks the stuck nut/bolt/screw to loosen when hit with a hammer. I use mine time to time at work when working on 70 year old machines.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
When you can’t get that last nut off reinstall a lug nut on either side of the stuck one to take the pressure off it, works every time!
No really, Re-tightened all and tried to remove just that one and NADA. Now as it has been sitting seems the power booster died. Always something.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts