Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...started the car earlier today, ran it up to temp, shut it down, and washed the car.

Started it up (to take it to the gas station), stalled at th ebottom of my driveway. Will not start again. Willl get it to strat her eand there with the choke (manual) all the way closed, but just stalls out on its own, or when I try to open the choke, even slightly. Can't get it to run!

Carb is a holley 650DP, recently rebuilt, gas gauge showed 1/8, so I ent and got a couple of gallons, figuring maybe the gauuge was incorrcet--now shows slightly over 1/4 tank (put in about 2.75 gallons), still the same exact problem. Car is parked in front of my house, and now that it it getting dark, I have no idea (short of calling a tow truck) how to get the car back up my driveway and in the garage for the night!

Any tips on the start/stall issue--could it just be too cold outside to run it, even withthe choke fully closed?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
plugs are not wet...

I wonder if my module has gone bad in the dizzy, although, I put a timing light on while crankkng, and confimrd that the number one (at least) is firing...

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Once an engine is up to operating temp, really no reason to close the choke.
Leave the choke open, mash the pedal to the floor, and start it. As said, flooded.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope...I've dealt with flooding before...this isn't it...even let it sit for over an hour, went back, and nothing, just cranking, cranking, cranking...

Engine really was cooled back down by the time I tried to start it, so closing the choke (given the 50-52 degree weather) was appropriate...in fact, on a couple of occasions, it did run like that for a few seconds, but would either backfire lightly and shut down, or just kind of stall on it's own, especially if I tried to even slightly open the choke...

Now, I get nothing but cranking, choke open or closed, over an hour later...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about using a choke in 50* weather.
Bad coil maybe, if it's a coil in cap, could be intermittent.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Did you wash the engine? Water in dist. cap? Sounds like igniton problem rather than fuel. It should run without a choke or with the choke wide open in 50 degree weather.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did not wash the engine...in fact, after washing the car, it fired right up and ran long enough to get it out of my driveway, get about 30 feet down the road, then died, not to be re-started again...That's what led me to think maybe my fuel gauge was wron...so went and filel dup a fule contained and put it in (just shy of three gallons--fuel receipt says 2.79 gallons to be exact)...still nothing...

Like I said--fired a couple of times, ran for a couple of seconds, then died again...

It's an accel supercoil...could the "di-electric grease" affect the transmission of the power to the rotor (just replaced rotor and cap--re-used the coil...

Although it ran GREAT last week after replacing all of that stuff...just bouncing ideas...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Get a helper to check for primary and secondary spark. Stick a screwdriver in the end of the coil wire hold near ground while someone cranks it. You should have a big blue spark jumping to ground. If spark is good, try squirting some carb cleaner in the carb and see if it runs. That will tell if you are dealing with an igniton or fuel issue.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What about fuel? If your plugs are not wet after all that cranking maybe you are not getting fuel to the carb. You need air, spark and fuel. If you have all three, it should start.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is fuel getting to the intake...squirters are strong.
I suppose it could be a float issue, as I did not make that adjustment witthe car running, made it on the rebuild, but the car wa srunning fine last week...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts