Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run out of room.

What do you guys do? Cut the new rocker to fit and not worry about 5 inches of metal? It looks like I am only 3 spotwelds away from a complete new outer rocker too.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I think I used an air chisel to remove that part. Did you get the spotwelds on the vertical part of that from inside the car on the kick panel?

I have a bunch of pictures of me starting the replacement of my passenger outer rocker. Feel free to look through them. They're in a section halfway down or so just for the rockers.
http://www.67rs-ss.com/my67/my67.htm

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Ha, hmmm I'd didn't seem to have that problem... Oh wait! Thats because mine were completely gone there! Makes for an easy disassembly but a nasty installation. And to they think I actually drove that thing. :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
For the hard to get to spots I use a die grinder with a long ball bit to grind into the spot weld to weaken the weld. Then I chip it off with an air chisel. If it doesn't pop off easy with the chisel i hit it again with the die grinder - back & forth till it's all gone. Takes a little time but it makes a nice clean removal without warping the good panel. Once it's all cleaned off i use the die grinder one last time to claen off the burrs and any rust so it's ready for the new panel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ha, hmmm I'd didn't seem to have that problem... Oh wait! Thats because mine were completely gone there! Makes for an easy disassembly but a nasty installation. And to they think I actually drove that thing. :D
I finally got through the bondo back by the quarter panel to find remnates of what once was a rocker panel. I can't belive the bondo stuck to the rust this long. should be easy removal for me as well :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts