Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need some advice in removing the fill plug in my 12 bolt rear. The plug is the square head type. My wrench fits nice and snug but still slips around and off under pressure. I also tried smacking the wrench with a hammer, still no good. Any ideas ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Try using some vise grips, make sure they are as tight as you can get them on the plug. Use a BFH to persuade the fitting to move. Might not hurt to heat the plug with a propane torch first.

Then go to the nearest parts house or dealer and get a replacement plug if you have rounded off the head!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you can fit it in there, try a pipe wrench. Many times it has saves my butt when old bolts have been rounded off. Also try that blaster penetrating oil for old bolts, it works great. Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I did. I
tried all of the above methods and eventually
the plug broke off even with the case. I considered removing the rear cover and drilling out the plug, but after considering the effort involved I have decided to leave the plug as is and buy a new rear cover that has a drain and filler plug in the cover. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Now I discover that these kind of covers cost about $130.00 (unless someone can point me to a less costly one)

The only reason I point this out is to ensure you work slowly and dilegently and consider the alternatives if you break the plug off like I did.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Before you tear the plug up so it can't be removed- use "Kroil" penetrating oil on it and soak it good. Retreat it every so often. It will eventually loosen it if you are patient. I have NEVER seen a time that Kroil did not work!

·
10,164 Posts
You could have a plug fitting welded to your stock cover.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. I did not have an 8 point socket, so I used a 12 point, 16mm. Tapped it on the plug with a hammer, gave a few grunts and it saw things my way. I was able to tap the plug out of the socket with a small punch. Both socket and plug are just fine. Oh yea, the rear has oil inside once again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Oh yea, the rear has oil inside once again."
Now wouldn't that be a pain in the rear...

sorry,,,could'nt resist,,,,heat,,squirt,,,and impact...

I started to edit/delete this message,,,but then again,,,it aint my fault it was taken that way...

[This message has been edited by dgrewhl (edited 11-23-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.