Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capping off or "Corking" the exhaust. What good does this do?

A while back I saw a few Mustang guys that had the tips of their exhaust plugged up. Doesn't make sense to me. Won't this damage the engine by restricting its ability to breathe :eek:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Re: Capping off or "Corking" the exhaust. What good does this do?

I believe you were looking at a European designed muffler, or restricter plate which is how a lot of European cars with under two liter sized engines muffle the annoying whine of the car. They are stackable to accommodate larger displacements, but as you may have noticed they are next to useless as a muffler which relies upon either adsorption of the exhaust pulse through expansion, or wave cancellation caused by reflection to muffle the sound waves.

They are nothing more than a spark arrester (wavy steel plates to allow passage of gas but nothing else physically) as found on off-road dirt bikes.

Larger Dave

·
Retired
26,741 Posts

Or like old twice pipes, you saw pipes that have no mufflers that are capped off forcing the exhaust through the muffler and out different pipes. If you un-cap the ones you saw then the exhaust would be open and loud.

·
Retired
26,741 Posts

Great picture of cut-outs David, that's almost just like a twice pipe except typically the capped end is on the end of a long chrome sidepipe running under the rockers.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

sounds to me like he is describing those mufflers from the late 80's where you could stack different amounts of plates in the end of the muffler to change the sound..
i forget what they were called, but EVERYONE used to run them on their Pro-Streeters back then.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
856 Posts

sounds to me like he is describing those mufflers from the late 80's where you could stack different amounts of plates in the end of the muffler to change the sound..
i forget what they were called, but EVERYONE used to run them on their Pro-Streeters back then.
Supertrapps?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

yeah.. Supertrapps..

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks Guys :cool:

·
Retired
26,741 Posts

So for the courious, which of 2 was it? Actual capped off pipes or a restrictor like the Supertraps?

·
Registered
121 Posts

A while back I saw a few Mustang guys that had the tips of their exhaust plugged up. Doesn't make sense to me. Won't this damage the engine by restricting its ability to breathe :eek:
Could you elaborate on the appearance of the exhaust system? Did it have a "Y" junction with one tailpipe open and the other capped and both about 18" or so long? If it is like I described could you find out who makes it, because if it is this system uses "interference" tuning. This interference tuning reduces noise and increases the length of the low pressure pulse at the exhaust valve, so overlap scavgening will occur over a wider rev band which is a very good thing. In other words more torque over a wider RPM range. The only bad things are the strange appearance and the extra bulk.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

1 - 12 of 12 Posts