Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Pioneer DEH-590IB deck today. The instructions say that it "should" not be used with speakers below 4 ohms.
I'm using 5.25 components up front with 2 way 6x9's out back. Both these speakers are rated at 2.65 ohms.

Should I be OK?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason,
Thanks for the help!
Believe me I have not had a radio in the last 10 years for the same reason as you. We often take long 7 hour +/- road trips and some tunes will be a nice change.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You'll need an external amp for two of those, probably the rears. The amp in the deck isn't going to like driving all 4 speakers with such a low impedance.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i guess i can understand that, maybe get an mp3 player. please don't do something you will later regret. aka cuting holes for components.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pioneer radios have very robust power supply and can handle speakers down to 2ohms without a problem. I would recommend using an amp for the components at the very least. Components are usually not real efficient and your volume level will be much lower than the 6x9's. An ideal situation would use a 4 channel amp for all 4 speakers and would give you plenty of power to get what ever volume level you want easily and allow you to balance out the fronts vs. the rears.

Tim

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What amp would you guys recommend, 2ch 4ch 4x50w 4x100w or what?
I have no idea, don't need anything too extreme.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What speakers are you going to be driving with it?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sizes of speakers are 5.25 components 5022cs and 6x9 2 way 9622i. Both sets are Infinity Reference series.
Deck is Pioneer premier DEH-590IB.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'd suggest a 4-channel amp around 100watts/channel RMS that's stable down to 2 ohms without bridging. Taking a quick look at Crutchfield, something like Infinity Reference 475a, Alpine MRP-F450, or Kenwood Excelon KAC-X40. Any of those three should sound great and let you crank it up without damaging the speakers (the distortion from low-power amps is what usually blows speakers).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help, but after seeing the +/-$200 amps I may just try running without one for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts