Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

ok what i have is a 68 camaro with a 350 motor it has the orignal wiring accept for a msd billit distriubtor with a msd digital 6a box, i use a ford solenoid on the firewall for my starter wire and a the msd box. everything was fine tell i wanted to try the blower motor for the heater that has been disconected, so i just ran a hot wire from the postive site on the ford solenoid to the blower motor, and it came on fine. But now the car will not start, when you turn the key it cranks great but not start, when you let go of the key to the run postion it try's to run, in fact i was able to get it running one time by cranking it for a minut and letting go of the key and it poped on and ran fine, but still will not start right ? I have checked grounds and the battery is new and charged, any ideas would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
What terminal on the solenoid? Not a little one I hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i just touched the blower motor to the large terminal with the + side battery cable on it, just to see if the blower moter would work, it did, but now car will not start on cranking with the key, but try's to start when you release the key to the run postion.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Weird. Maybe something came loose. Where is the purple wire and the MSD white? I gotta dig out my manuals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i use the magnetic pickup so it is the purple and green, and then the white wire is not used..When this was frist instaled i had engine run on after you turn off the key, due to external voltage regulator, but they supply you a diode to splice in to eliminate this problum, and the car would start and turn off great, tell i messed up by trying to test the heater blower motor.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
A CLUE! Blown diode=open ignition circuit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so i just tryed removing the diode and put the wires togther and still doing the same : (

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Not a loose coil wire,,,,MSD'S only use two,, so that's not it. Just a minute, I'll get some books,,,

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
OK, with the furd solenoid you have to have two ignition wires. One to crank/close the solenoid and another to the MSD. Is the red MSD ignition key wire tight/secure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yes mine is on page 11 in that frist link that you linked, it's the secound one on that page for installing to a msd distributor, been checking all connections so far so good.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
OK, the link ending in 87 needs the white wire hooked-up. Did you say yours is disconnected?
Oh wait! The second one. Never mind. Still checking,,,

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
What fires off your Furd solenoid? The purple OEM 10ga, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i checked the ing. hot wire in the key on postion and it is hot all the way to the msd box, i checked the coil wire and it is getting power from the box when i crank the motor, so i plued the coil wire going to the distributor and put it next to ground and no spark when i crank the motor, so i am thinking the coil has gone bad ?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Do the MSD test for a bad MSD box. It involves tapping the white wire to ground. It's in the manual under trouble shooting. Page 9&10.
And yeah, coil is a possibility. But do the trouble shooting.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
You can also use the purple and geen connector that you are using to test the box. You unplug the connector from the box. Then pull the coil wire off the dist and put it close to ground. Turn the ignition key to on. Then put a jumper wire across the plug on the box. It should spark everytime you touch the jumper wire to the connector.

What does it do when you do this????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i did the jumper wire test on the box and the coil is firing turu the wire to the distributor, so i pulled off the distributor cap and there a problum, the button in the center of the cap is burned out, so it is not making contact with the rotor inside the cap. going to order new cap and rotor,but this was farly new cap and rotor i wonder what would cause that center button in the cap to burn up so eassy?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Joe. Good news, sorry I'm late. I was in bed, sleeping.:D
I'm sure your cap came with the MSD dizzy, right? First thing to do is call them. Be sure to report back to us.:yes:
Also, I'm surprised your engine didn't start and run nearly normally regardless of the condition of the button. MSD's are like that.;)
A thought! Maybe the spring conductor on the rotor to the center button wasn't making good contact, causing an arc. That would fry the cap in no time. Anyway, with the new rotor, just make sure the spring conductor is 'up'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok great, i sure like to thank you for all your help, i looked at all your pictures of your 69 and thats one sweet ride.I will post back as soon as i get the new cap and rotor from summit and let you know the results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts