Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can help I would appreciate it. My son's 96Z is having heating issues. The fans are only working when the a/c is on. If not they will not turn on and the car obviously gets hot. I took it to a shop and he said that he looked at all the diagrams and can't find anything inline anywhere like a switch, and it must be the computer controlling it. So he is saying that we have to replace the computer.

Not sure how much that will cost but I'm sure it isn't cheap. Would it be possible to put a switch on the fans so he can turn them on when in traffic or stopped? And if so, how would that effect the rest of the system.

Please help.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can try a soft reset on the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about a min, then reconnect. Then the computer needs about 30-50 miles to check its self again on all the sensers. If that doesn't work the senser on the water pump is the senser the computer watches for the temp so the computer tells the fans to come on. If that doesn't work I'd try a local computer tuner before I get a new computer. At least the tuner will deffinitly be able to lead you to the right direction and also retune the computer to make the car run like it should and will not effect any emissions if you have any of that be in your state lol.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The fans are only working when the a/c is on. If not they will not turn on and the car obviously gets hot.
only at low speed and idle does it run hot above about 30 mph?
When was the last time the radiator was checked or serviced?
Was the water temp sensor operation checked?

I doubt very much if its the ECU (computer)

·
13,741 Posts
Any tuner or the dealer can check the ECT reading the ECM is getting against actual and verify the fan on settings.

My 1st thought is that the temp sensor is bad. You can pull the connector and jump the terminals. If the fans come on then it's the sensor. If they don't then check the voltage on the connector. You should get 5v on one side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts