Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
To start this off, I'm a fairly experienced mechanic, but my skills with electrical systems are not as sharp as I'd like!

Anyhow, I went to load up my 69 Camaro on the car trailer today and the thing just died. It lost all power to the ignition. It wouldn't turn over, no dash lights would come on, nothing. I checked the fuse panel, and they all looked intact. I checked the battery, alternator, starter and coil wiring, along with grounds and it all looked good. The only light that would come on was the dome light.

The car is acting like a main fuse for the ignition is blown or the ignition switch is not engaging. I should mention that a couple of weeks ago I attempted to turn the car off, removed the key from the ignition and the car kept running.

What do you think the problem is? Is there a fuse or relay that would do this, or maybe it's the ignition on the steering column. Please help, the car is stranded on my car trailer, parked in my driveway. The wife is no my case already :-( .

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
One place to look is the terminal block mounted to the radiator core support behind the battery. Make sure the battery pig tail is good to the terminal, it is tight and the cable to the horn relay is all in good condition.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
453 Posts
jsabowabo said:
The car is acting like a main fuse for the ignition is blown or the ignition switch is not engaging. I should mention that a couple of weeks ago I attempted to turn the car off, removed the key from the ignition and the car kept running.

What do you think the problem is? Is there a fuse or relay that would do this, or maybe it's the ignition on the steering column. Please help, the car is stranded on my car trailer, parked in my driveway. The wife is no my case already :-( .
Will the headlights work or anything else? IF not you probably lost a main feed. Your original problem is most likely the IGN switch. It may have had a short nearly blowing a fusible link. See pic for locations

·
Super Moderator
32,907 Posts
As undee has shown the power distribution diagram, Thank you again, the second place i'd look after checking the junction block by the battery, is the horn relay buss bar.

Take both leads and place them onto one terminal or screw. Only after checking out the fusible link is in good shape.

Ask me how I know this.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'll check those things. To answer your question udee72Z, the headlights do not work. The thing that makes this hard also, is that the electrical system on this car is pretty rigged. Suff isn't where it's supposed to be.

Thanks a bunch for that wiring diagram, that will help me a bunch. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll fix that damn thing come hell or highwater.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
very odd to have courtesy lights and nothing else. If you look at the diagram, all the power comes into the dash on a single wire from the horn relay, where it splits (in a mechanical splice inside the harness and is delivered directly to the headlight and ignition switches. The wire you see going back to the fusebox from the splice goes to the 20 amp "CLK-CTSY-LGHTR" fuse, the only thing in the fusebox the is hot with the ignition switch off.

This is the circuit that supplies the courtesy lights, which work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it is probably the ignition switch. The car is acting just like the ignition is not turning on, and being it was acting up before, it's a likely culprit. I'll check the power wire going to the ignition switch and headlights to see if they have power, which they should with the ignition in the "off" position.

If this was the problem, shouldn't my headlights work? They are on a separate circuit from the ignition. The wiring on my car is so rigged it wouldn't suprise me if the guy spliced those together too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At lunch I worked on the car a bit. It has 12V running to a toggle switch, that looks like it's hooked to the ignition. I jiggled some wires around and fipped the toggle switch and the car had power again! Looks like it's time to put in a new engine harness!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the car does run now, but it runs like crap, backfiring and hard starting. I think I may have mixed up a couple of plug wires when I did a compression test last week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts