Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to find the rods used to hold your doors open. Not sure what you call them but they hook up to the door latches. (See Photo)

Anyone know what there called or even better where you can get some???

Thanks in advance Garry :D

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
broomstick? :D sorry the devil made me do that. nice truck , sorry I cant help ya on that one.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You make them, if you can build a car for a show, you can make them. Every one I have ever seen was made by the guy just as all the other display goodies are like the oil,water,gas cans and everything else "between the ropes"

You want it to "grab" at each end and HOLD the door open. Do not use some "broom stick" (I know that was a joke
) because some schmo may come up, touch the door and the darn stick falls, the door closes and hits the stick on the way, well, you get the picture.

Get a length of simple steel rod 3/8" or so in diameter and welded a "striker" on one end. This striker could be an actual striker that you cut off the treaded part. Or you could heat the rod and put a sharp bend in it then weld a washer or something on the end so this "striker" won't slip out of the latch.

Then on the other end, get a 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick metal strip about two and a half inches long. Bend it into a "U" shape. Weld it pointing out from the other end of your rod. Picture a "fork" for your BBQ.
That "U" will fit over the striker on your car. You drill a 1/4" hole thru the end of the "U" down thru both ends.

Of course, you need to detail this rod out nice, just like the car. Soften all the edges, grind the welds (unless they are beautiful TIG welds, they look cool) bead blast it and prime and paint it. Or have it chromed of course. But my thinking is you want it to "disappear" so a semi gloss black is my choice.

You slip this "U" over the striker, and put a pin thru to hold the rod to the striker. With the "Striker" you have at the other end of the rod latched into the latch, you have your "car show door holder opener".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a great idea!

And your right if you can build a car....just make one. ;) I was looking for the easy way out...been going nuts on a body off Elky Resto.

I could just do what Jim said...lol

Thanks Guys
Garry

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice truck.
I just use the wife in a bikini. That works great until her arm gets tired, then I just hit the keyless entry and she changes arms. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Z10Joey:
Nice truck.
I just use the wife in a bikini. That works great until her arm gets tired, then I just hit the keyless entry and she changes arms. ;)
That works......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts