Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now we are starting the 5th month for my car being repaired! I went by the body shop on Monday and they hadn't worked on my car for 9 days. It is still the same as it was from the last time I saw it. The body shop owner explained they had been real busy all last week and appologized for not working on my car. I told him I was dissappointed and he promised me that the car would be ready for photographs on Thursday and that I could pick it up on Friday. We'll see!!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
If this shop was in Stamford, Connecticut, I bet I could name it.

(Out of respect for the rules of camaros.net, I won't name them.)

I have a Jeep Wrangler that I bought that was originally stolen and stripped from NYC. It was pretty beat when I bought it. I hired a shop to paint it (afer I did all the body work, and stripped off all those annoying stripes that the Laredo comes with). It sat outside, without a top on it, for almost 2 months, in the rain, sun, etc.. I would check in on a weekly basis, and when the weather turned, he finally put a sheet of cardboard over the top, which then became a channel to fill the floors with rain water. After a lot of frustration he called to say it was painted..... the wrong color.

Another week, and it was repainted. I won't do business with them again, and will from now on, ask for business references for anything I get painted. He took $700 off the bill to cover all the excuses.

-Ted

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Supv26, I know what you are going thru, it will all be worth it.
I was told 3 months for bodywork and paint, but it turned out to be 6...I guess thats why they call it paint prison. Mike

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
So I guess if I get my car in the shop now, I can expect to have it back by next spring
...(and to think that I just got it back from a machanic who had it over an entire year rebuilding the engine)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!!

I went to the body shop yesterday afternoon and watched them paint my car through the booth windows. They had completely sanded the entire car again and had it taped off. They did not take out the windshield or the back window but the the rear and side windows have been removed. They shot it 2 times with base and 3 times with clear. This time the body shop owner sprayed it and just had the tech's assist him.

I am going over this morning to get pictures of when it comes out of the booth. They are going to start sanding and buffing today and will reassemble the car on Friday. Monday is when they expect it to be out of the shop........

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Let them take some time while they do the assembly, if not, you're gonna have to fix a lot of details in the future. Details that tend you appear while cruising on a beautiful sunny Sunday, with you preffered companion on board.
All in all, I can't believe how fast those guys are, at least when last week they finally decided to work on your car. :eek:
Be patient, soon you'll be riding your toy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sup, one thing I want to say is that most bodyshops do not make a living off doing older cars, even at a premium price. In fact, it is the daily, 'cookie cutter' cars that provide 98 percent of most body shop's profit over a year. In fact, dealer collision/repair shops are DISSAPEARING at an alarming rate because it is VOLUME that shops MUST have to stay in business. I only say this, because what youre going through is VERY common because our camaro paint jobs often come by neccessity as SECOND PLACE in a shop's priority. I'm not making excuses here, only pointing out why this IS SO COMMON... the real crux or test is the QUALITY of what they deliver. I hope it is the latter part of this problem that works out for you.... .

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another update........
Went by the body shop today and was told it will be out Friday. Hope it ain't raining! Looks REAL good so far too! BTW, they went ahead and replaced the lower rocker trim, rear bumper, and both gills (chrome). The old bumper is really not all that bad so I am going to try to sell it. May make a good bumper for someone who is wanting something for a race car or something. The rocker trim piece for the left side is ok except for minor pitting and is dull. The right side piece might be able to be straightened. The left gill is fine and the only reason it is being replaced is because they came a a pair. The old gill for the right side might ba able to be straightened also, but I don't know. I'll probably try to sell them anyway.....start all the pieces for a buck on ebay and see what happens....
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts