Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off-1989rs t-top 305 lo3. ok so when i hit the brakes to slow or stop my whole freakin car swervres(pulls) to the left. she still stops but the wheel pulls . whats up with that? alignment? or front brakes? my 94 camaro did this too. wtf? checked rears and they were in great shape. fronts arent bad either. could a thin rotor do this? please give me some insight guys im tired of looking like a drunk driver! and i dont wanna get pulled over! lol

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The caliper sticking or not traveling fully is a common cause of this. Have the calipers and pads checked to be sure they travel correctly.
A 'thin' rotor can cause issues, specially if it is also warped. Measure the rotors and replace if not in tolerance.

Worn and damaged steering components will also cause this. Have all the steering links and joints carefully checked for wear and other issues by a good alignment shop.
Alignment issues can also cause some problems like this, but usually it's from something above being damaged for it to be this bad ...

Hope this helps some;
John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your help man-you have confirmed myorigional thoughts. i believe the side its pulling on has a bad rotor its too thin thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another thing you may consider is the front brake hoses. I had a similar symptom and one of the hoses was collapsed inside and would not let the pressure release which held the caliper on the rotor.

Dave

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
thin rotors wont make a pull, but in conjunction with thin pads can cause a problem caliper...as in the piston cocking in the bore...more likely as above posted the rubber hoses break down inside...a flap developes, and wont let fluid in, or sometimes out...to check for a bad hose, have the wife apply the brakes,and crack the bleeder on the right side caliper...note fluid volume...then crack bleader on left(working side), and note fluid volume...if there is a lot more pressure on the left, change hose...if fluid volume is the same, replace caliper, as piston is hanging in the bore...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing you may consider is the front brake hoses. I had a similar symptom and one of the hoses was collapsed inside and would not let the pressure release which held the caliper on the rotor.

Dave
Hi, I'm new here, but I just replaced the rubber lines on both sides of my 91 rs for this exact same problem. The right front was barely pushing any fluid out, so when I pushed the brake pedal the car took a dive to the left. Try bleeding the front brakes, and if it barely drips out when you open the bleeder, that's the problem.

This was the reason I got my Camaro so cheap. The previous owner thought it was going to be big $$$ to fix. :D

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If the car is swerving to the Psgr Side (left) , I can almost bet that the Piston is frozen in the Driver Side (Right) Caliper. That's not to say the Drivers Side Hose is not structurally damaged as suggest in prior posts.

Jack car Up, take off Wheel, take off Caliper leaving your new hoses on. Tie caliper up with something. Use a "C" Clamp to fit loosely such that the piston will not pop out. Jam on the brakes. If the piston does not move it's jammed. Jam as hard as you can until piston starts popping and return the piston to bottom using the "C" Clamp. Repeat the process until the piston travels freely. I then suggest you remove the piston to inspect for corrosion in the cylinder, dirt and condition of rubber seal. If you can not clean what needs cleaning properly your probably looking at a new piston and rubber seal or perhaps a new caliper assembly.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
personally, i feel that if you`ve never worked on a caliper, you should just get a reman...if the tolerances arent correct, or there are scores in the bore, you`ll get a leak...you could possibly have a brake failure, and none of us want that...usually a frozen caliper is caused by rust...brake fluid is hydroscopic, which means it attracts water...hence the rust issues...if you had an original 69 rsss that had date coded calipers, i could understand fixing your caliper, but on an 89, its just not that rare...save yourself the headache, and by a reman...ofcorse, z15`s heart is definately in the right place...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts