Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 camaro 3.8 i drove it to wamart every thing was fine i went inside for 5 min came out turned the key and all my dash lights were dim i tried to start in nothing happened but it made squealing noise from the passenger kick panel i checked all of the fuses in the car even got a jump but still nothing so me and a friend towed the the car home, opened the hood to unhooked the bat and the ground cable was to hot to touch, and the bat was dead i charged it up put in in the car and without the key on one head light came on very dim and nothing inside the car worked i checked it with a volt meter and the car pulled so much power that in drained the bat down to 5 volts i unhooked the bat and checked it and the bat was at 13.2 volt hooked it back up and nothing happened this time turned the key on and the volt dropped to 5 volt again but the dash lights were on but dim and no fuel pump, i guess cuz there was not enough power, then the squeal was back but got louder and louder so i pulled the bat cable off again, i unhooked the alt wires in case it was bad, i got the same results as before, and so i hooked a test light between the red cable and the bat it was on so i pulled all the fuses till it went out but it never did so there is a big draw but starti don't even know where to start i need help cuz it is my only car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When you put any kind of load on the battery the voltage at the battery goes to 5 volts, the battery is no good

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
As suggested, try another battery. If the replacement battery makes the car work, then measure charging voltage at the battery and should read over 14 volts, then 10-15 minutes later, should read around 13.8 volts. This will make sure the alternator is working.

Might even clean the battery cable clamps with a wire brush.
Also, on the big starter post, are smaller wires to power the car circuits.
Disconnect the ground cable at the battery and wire brush those terminals on the smaller red wires, then assemble everything. Corrosion is your worst enemy.

Welcoem to the club, Dustin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts